Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > How to Inserting Images?

How to Inserting Images?

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
07 Mar 2005 04:26 - 07 Mar 2005 05:23 #171192 by Paul_Russell
How to Inserting Images? was created by Paul_Russell
I can't seem to get pictures or links to work.... <br> <br>I've tried using the insert image button and pasting a URL for an image in place of the "URL" text. The URL is from the properties from webshots and from a comcast.net homepage. I'm sure I'm missing something. Are there some instructions on the site? I tried looking but didn't find much. <br> <br>I also seem to have trouble inserting a link to my webshots photos. I can access the link when I click it, but others tell me they can not. I've tried revising the one above with this using the communities url... maybe it will work this time? <br> <br>community.webshots.com/album/290011636AAhJYk

I think the link to comcast site is working.

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Mar 2005 05:30 #171193 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
When you say "insert images" how are you trying to do this? <br><br>Here is one of your photo's using the [ and the word img and the [/ . I can't put it in exactly as it is suppose to be or the forum will think I'm trying to add an image.<br><br>

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
07 Mar 2005 07:42 #171195 by Paul_Russell
Replied by Paul_Russell on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
I have been attempting to use the insert image button that is provided with the Add YABBC tags. It shows the [ followed by img ] then "URL" then it repeats [ / img ]<br><br>I inserted the link inplace of the URL. You must be inserting somewhere else? <br>

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
07 Mar 2005 08:31 #171196 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
I think the main problem is that webshots blocks linking to photos on their site from other sites (also known as "hot linking"). People often "steal" the use of photos by hot linking, so some sites block it. Below I used the YABBC button for an image for two photos, just pasting in the photo URL where it says "URL" in the tag. This first is for one of your webshots photos (BTW, nice, and the link does work for me), and the second is for a file on my server. Webshots blocks hotlinking to a file on their server from this site (TAY).<br><br>http://community.webshots.com/photo/290011636/290028012MrXNRt<br><br> <br><br>You will have to put your photos somewhere else if you want to be able to insert one in your posts (but of course you can still post links to your photos, without having the photos actually display in the post).<br><br>There are instructions for all of this - there is always a "Inserting photos in posts: guidelines and how-to" thread at the top of active TR month boards.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
07 Mar 2005 08:46 #171197 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
A free site to host images that doesn't block "hot linking" is biglines.com/ -- however you can only upload skiing images.

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
07 Mar 2005 09:06 - 07 Mar 2005 09:08 #171198 by Paul_Russell
Thanks for all your responses.  I'm still a bit puzzled and will do some more experimenting.  It appears that Keni and hyak were able to successfully insert my photos from my Webshots site, so not sure if it's really a blocking problem.  And not sure why they go it to work and I didn't.  Charles' explanation seems to be consistent with what I was doing (ie., pasting the URL link in place of the "URL" text after hitting the insert image button).  Seems logical and simple enough.<br><br>Knowing that Webshot might not work, I had also tried the same procedure with a reference to my comcast.net home page where I have a photo.  This didn't seem to work either.  So wonder if I'm doing something wrong.<br><br>I was able to solve the problem with the Webshots link to my photos.  I had to use the "community" link, not the link from "my photos" (webshots terminology).<br>

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
07 Mar 2005 09:14 #171199 by Jeff Huber

It appears that Keni and hyak were able to successfully insert my photos from my Webshots site, so not sure if it's really a blocking problem.

<br>Hyak and Keni's photos do not show up for me, nor anyone else that has not been to Webshots recently. Webshots blocking system is implemented such that if you've been there recently and gotten a cookie from them (or if you hack your browser to forge a cookie :-)), you can see photos -- otherwise you can't. <br><br>Come to this site with another browser and you will not see those photos.

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
07 Mar 2005 09:22 #171202 by Paul_Russell
Thanks for the explanation of the mysterious. I was successful in getting a link from my comcast homepage to work, finally! Same procedure as before, so not sure what was different.<br><br>You might check it out (new thread above) and let me know if it works for you.<br><br>Thanks again....

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
07 Mar 2005 10:15 #171204 by Jeff Huber
Paul, your image in the other thread works fine but it's HUGGEEEEE. If you're using Windows XP, MS makes a very handy and easy to use "PowerToy" utility for resizing images:<br>download.microsoft.com/download/whistler...zerPowertoySetup.exe

Once you install it, just right-click on any image and you can resize them.

Now if I could just get that PowerToy to work on Windows 2003 . . .

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
07 Mar 2005 13:11 #171205 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
www.irfanview.com

It'll even let you do fine rotations, batch resizes, batch renames, etc, etc. I love it.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Mar 2005 13:27 - 07 Mar 2005 13:28 #171206 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
Yea, from my home PC I do not see the photo I had posted earlier. I use my personal website to link to for my photo's as I've found (as already stated from others) most public sites do not allow linking... <br><br>Maybe consider getting yourself your own website (they are pretty cheap), then you can upload and link or do whatever you want with your photo's. You can get your own domain name, webspace and such for around $80 a year (more or less depending on host and what frills you want with it). Just a thought.....<br><br>

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
07 Mar 2005 15:14 #171208 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
hyak.net has a good suggestion. It looks like there are plenty of web hosts with really cheap basic plans, under $5 per month. You can often get free domain name registration as long as you are with the host (but make sure that they register the domain in your name, not theirs). Such a hosting plan would have plenty of space for lots of jpegs, and shouldn't have the hot linking blocking problem of some of the free photo sites. You most likely would also get email accounts, which would give you total control over your email (eg set up disposable accounts to use for online stuff, then delete the account when it starts getting too much junk).<br><br>The other option is to just use the "web space" or "personal web pages" that come with your ISP account. Most of these have plenty of space, unless you are posting a lot of movies. If all you need is an internet-accessible server on which to put your photos, this would probably work fine.

More
08 Mar 2005 00:53 #171210 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: How to Inserting Images?
Hyak and Charles have the best solutions.<br>If you're too lazy to follow their suggestions then groups.msn.com allows pic posting and hot linking.