Voices from the past

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Feb 2005 15:44 - 06 Feb 2005 16:38 #170796 by Lowell_Skoog
Voices from the past was created by Lowell_Skoog
I've been listening to interview tapes to gather notes and quotes for my historical writing. I've finished reviewing conversations with skiers from the 1950s and 60s. <br><br>These conversations capture a bit of what it was like in the "dark ages" of backcountry skiing in Washington (as John Meulemans described it). All of these people have been prominent skiers and mountaineers since the 1950s. A couple of them have ski memories going back to the 1920s! Some were involved in the Mt Olympus IGY project or the Crystal Mountain snow surveys. Most of these conversations happened a few years ago, and five of the subjects are no longer with us.<br><br>I'll be using just bits and pieces of these conversations in my book. But the totality of what the subjects had to say is worth recording, I think. So here's the list:<br><br> Stella Degenhardt <br> Dorothy Egg <br> Joe Firey <br> Jim Hawkins <br> Marion Hessey <br> Ed LaChapelle <br> Walt Little <br> Tom Lyon <br> Cal Magnusson <br> John and Irene Meulemans <br> Gary Rose <br> Pete Schoening <br> Ira Spring <br> Duke Watson <br> Chuck Welsh <br><br>I have other conversations to review, and people I haven't even talked to yet. So this work is far from complete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
07 Feb 2005 04:08 #170798 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Voices from the past
Thanks again, Lowell.<br><br>It's an impressive effort to maintain such an historic, well-organized, and encyclopedic documentation of Washington skiing.

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
07 Feb 2005 08:23 - 07 Feb 2005 08:24 #170815 by Jason_H.
Replied by Jason_H. on topic Re: Voices from the past
In my line of work I on occasion have the opportunity to speak with some of the old timers you speak of. All (and not climbers only of course) have great stories to tell. From war, to growing up poor and destitute, to the adventures - both local and abroad, in the mountains and elsewhere...they are all something to hear, and many of these oldtimes love nothin' more than spinning a yarn.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Feb 2005 14:40 #170820 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Voices from the past
Great stories, thanks for sharing.<br><br>My grandmother grew up in Leavenworth and told me they used to go over to the ski hill when she was a teenager. She didn't remember much other then watching the ski jumpers.<br>She said she never did ski herself, it wasn't for her.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Feb 2005 15:39 #170822 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Voices from the past

My grandmother grew up in Leavenworth and told me they used to go over to the ski hill when she was a teenager. She didn't remember much other then watching the ski jumpers.<br>She said she never did ski herself, it wasn't for her.

<br><br>There are a number of Leavenworth ski jumpers still around. Kjell Bakke is the authority. His father and uncle (Magnus and Hermod) were local legends going back to the 1930s. Kjell was responsible for building the new little 'D' hill over there.<br><br>Just this year, Randy Garretson, a young (at the time) jumper who was paralyzed on the big hill in the 1960s, was inducted into the NW ski hall of fame. My dad and uncle used to jump on one of the smaller hills at Leavenworth in the 1960s in the veterans (old guys) class.