Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Snow Tires

Snow Tires

• eric
  • [eric]
More
07 Jan 2005 08:48 #170467 by eric
Snow Tires was created by eric
Anyone care to offer a recommendation on snow tires for a Subaru? I’ve read the new studless snow tires offer comparable traction to studded tires, but a TAY testimonial would carry much more weight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2005 09:34 #170468 by mfaoro
Replied by mfaoro on topic Re: Snow Tires
I recently bought the Nokian RSI tires for my Outback. So far I really like them but havent had a lot of opportunities to play in a lot of snow. I started a thread on Couloir mags discussion board on this topic and got a pretty lively debate:<br><br>www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb...;f=1;t=000964#000000

More
07 Jan 2005 15:57 #170469 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Snow Tires
That would be me with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's (Audi A4 Quattro, not a Subaru) - the grip this week on packed powder/burnished ice in the Stevens Nordic Center lot was astounding, much like a good studded tire in like conditions (very cold, around 10 degrees F). They also drive very well and corner like regular tires on dry pavement. Haven't used them in typical NW fresh or slop yet, so can't comment on that. The Hakka 2 is the replacement for the Hakka Q, which you might be able to find still in some sizes for cheap. Best price I could find on the 2's was at etires.com in Chicago. Nokians have a reputation for long tread wear, even though the compound is quite soft.