Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X

Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X

• ATnicholls
  • [ace_stalone]
More
13 Dec 2004 07:12 - 13 Dec 2004 07:14 #170311 by ATnicholls
Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X was created by ATnicholls
I had a local ski shop mount some 04/05 Freerides on some new Atomic Beta TM:Xs (177s). When I got the skis back from the shop, the bindings appeared to be mounted way too far back towards the tails of the skis. The techs in the shop quickly agreed with this observation, but after further review they claimed the bindings are mounted on-center according to the manufacturer directions. <br><br>The TM:Xs have pilot holes for the bindings, so I imagine that it's difficult to mess up a binding mount. But, these bindings are so far back that every person Ive showed them to has commented on the position of the bindings --<br><br>-Dude, are you a back-seat driver or what?-<br><br>One other bit of info - the pilot hole closest to the tip of the ski is visible in front of the bindings.<br><br>Does anyone else have this setup? Do your bindings appear to be in the back seat?<br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
13 Dec 2004 08:25 #170312 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
Perfect for deep pow!!<br><br>My TM-EX's are a bit older. No pilot holes. mine have a "boot center" marking, and I alignrd it with the "boot center" marking on my Lazers. That looked a bit far back, so I mounted them 1" ahead of recommendations. They still look a little far back, but that seems to be the Atomic way. They ski great. <br><br>I don;' know about pilot holes showing in front, though! What length are your skis, and what is the distance from the tips to the center of your boots, measured on a straight line from tip to center on the top?

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
13 Dec 2004 09:37 #170313 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X

the bindings appeared to be mounted way too far back towards the tails of the skis.

<br><br>I don't really understand your post. Is your basis for feeling this way due to your boots not being centered with the mounting mark?

• ATnicholls
  • [ace_stalone]
More
13 Dec 2004 09:45 #170314 by ATnicholls
Replied by ATnicholls on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
The center mark on the boot lines up with the center mark on the ski. I guess its just a visual thing, but it looks really wierd. Wierd enough to make me wonder if this is a good setup???

More
13 Dec 2004 09:51 #170315 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
This is this year's TM:X, blue with yellow bases? I'm not sure about those, but I have a couple of pair of R:EX's mounted AT, which have pilot holes for Atomic bindings and I didn't use a single one of them. The front hole shows in front of my Dynafit toepiece but not in front of my Freeride toepiece.<br><br>Do the skis have a marked centerline? If so, it's easy to see if it lines up with the mid-point of your boot; most manufacturers recommend this method of mounting for AT setups. You can also measure the running surface (contact length) and see if the ball of your foot is in the center (usually my ball of foot is slightly back of center using this method; the back edge of the Fritschi AFD usually hits about at the center).

More
13 Dec 2004 09:55 #170316 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
Maybe it's just the visual impact of the long heel lock - don't worry about it, the TM:X/R:EX with Freerides rocks.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
13 Dec 2004 15:21 #170322 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
Yo', Ace.... boot center is boot center as far as I know. I've got Freerides on AK Launchers and they also look like they're set a little far back, but that there is what it is in my case. Maybe if we're lucky you'll get a chance to try your gear to make sure it meets your specs. More snow please...<br><br>I've skied your set-up and it's a great one. Good choices!<br><br>For anyone reading, last week I saw several sets of last years' TM:X's on sale at the Seattle REI, $359.

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
13 Dec 2004 17:00 #170331 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
JibberD, did you happen to catch what size those tm:exes were?

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
13 Dec 2004 17:48 #170333 by Jeff Huber
Andy you can order them online in 168, 177 and 184:<br><br>www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?...3563&vcat=REI_SEARCH

If you order online don't pay shipping, REI has free to store shipping. Ugh, it's tempting to buy another pair for myself . . .

PS: I'm pretty sure my local REI here in Tualatin (PDX suburb) has the REXs for the same price in 190s (or whatever the size above 184 is).

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
13 Dec 2004 18:19 #170334 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
andyski, yes, last year's were the TM:EX, not TM:X. Thanks. If memory serves, I saw one set of 168's and what I think were a few 184's. I had the 168's in hand since they were up front in the stack. But I put them back once my head started to justify another ski purchase and scurried quickly out of the store. I went in for a tune-up, that's all. Give the store a call.<br><br>GaperJ's link above is for the R:EX. I've never skied on that one.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
13 Dec 2004 18:37 #170335 by Jeff Huber

GaperJ's link above is for the R:EX. I've never skied on that one.

<br><br>The general consensus is the R:EX is identical to the TM:EX and TM:X (though some say the TM:EX has a slightly softer flex).

• ATnicholls
  • [ace_stalone]
More
14 Dec 2004 03:47 #170338 by ATnicholls
Replied by ATnicholls on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
Hey all, thanks for the input. JibberD is right - boot center is boot center.<br><br>

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
14 Dec 2004 09:35 #170345 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Freerides on Atomic Beta TM X
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 177s ... though the lack of snow is sapping some of my enthusiasm because I know that once I have them, I'll HAVE to use them immediately, bust an edge on rock/stump and then be screwed. ;)