Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Light, wide and waxless

Light, wide and waxless

• RossMac
  • [RossMac]
More
12 Dec 2004 10:36 #170297 by RossMac
Light, wide and waxless was created by RossMac
I am thinking of adding some of the new wider waxless skis to my quiver for those days when covering terrain is as important as turning. Anyone have particular recommendations? The Alpinas have gotten good reviews -- has anyone out there tried them? Also, does anyone have experience with the new BC nordic norm bindings and boots? For something as wide as the Alpinas seems like we would want to keep with cables, but I am interested in people's experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rustickles
  • [rustickles]
More
12 Dec 2004 14:50 #170299 by rustickles
Replied by rustickles on topic Re: Light, wide and waxless
Try one of the Fischer Boundless series with a Voile 3 pin cable. Light, stable and FUN. The NNN or SNS series of boot/binding don't have enough control for serious downhill fun IMHO.<br><br>Russ

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
13 Dec 2004 14:33 #170320 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Light, wide and waxless
These days it is hard to really know what "wider" means, but I upgraded from Karhu Catamounts to Fischer Outtabounds last spring. I think the Catamounts have tips in the upper 80s, Outtabounds in the low-mid 90s. The Outtabounds are much nicer skis - responsive, good turning (though we're still talking fishscale skis here), pretty light - but they don't climb as well because the pattern is recessed into the base, as opposed to the relief pattern on the Catamounts. If you want really fast waxless skis for covering a lot of distance in spring/summer, I'd still suggest 60-70mm tip skis. I still use the old Karhu XCD-GTs, and with the right conditions they are definitely better for covering distance - with the penalty of turning performance. I have even used the XCDs with T3s, and saw no problem with "overpowering".<br><br>I have the 3-pin bindings with removable cable. Most of the time I don't even take the cable, and I always leave it off for the touring part. For doing turns, adding the cable makes a big difference.<br><br>Last summer I started using this setup (Outtabounds, 3-pins)with really wimpy leather/fabric boots (great for trail hiking), only putting on the cables for runs, which turned those boots into supercharged turning machines (well, at least it seemed that way). I skied the Muir twice in September with that setup and had a blast.<br><br>For the new BC nordic norm bindings and boots approach, maybe sb will see this thread and comment. He seems to ski just about everything with that setup.

More
18 Dec 2004 17:16 #170380 by sb
Replied by sb on topic Re: Light, wide and waxless
I do a lot of skiing with Salomon SNS BC boots and bindings. Generally I'm happy with the system. The boots are comfortable on me and they have enough control for skis up to Outtabound class. They tour and hike more comfortably than any 3 pin system I know about. The binding is strong and with its mating ridge and groove is actually more supportive than 3 pin laterally. I have never had any mechanical problem with the binding or boot - but... the boots are stitched cloth and plastic and thus are more susceptible to damage and harder to waterproof than straight plastic boots like Excursions. Also they aren't available at all this year, though supposedly some high end Salomon boots will be available next season. I use them with, among others, Karhu Pyxis and Fischer Outtabounds - and recommend both.