Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > July 17, 2004, Artist point, Ptarmigan access

July 17, 2004, Artist point, Ptarmigan access

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
17 Jul 2004 09:38 #169580 by Alan Brunelle
July 17, 2004, Artist point, Ptarmigan access was created by Alan Brunelle
The Mt. Baker Natl. forest web site lists access beyond the ski area as closed at this time. Anyone been there lately? Any guesses as to the opening time?<br><br>What is the most efficient route of access to Ptarmigan when forced to park at the ski area? Up the road? or around table through the notch?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
17 Jul 2004 11:17 #169581 by powscraper
Note sure but I think they are just saying that the road up to Artist Point is still closed? It's a pretty short hike up there anyway.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
17 Jul 2004 18:09 #169582 by markharf
Not sure what they're saying on the website, but the road to Artist Point opened last month. <br><br>There is some torturously slow construction on the Mt. Baker Highway which seems to involve unpredictable hour-long delays. Apparently they don't work weekends, but on weekdays I'd go either early or late to miss the road closures.<br><br>The backcountry is, of course, entirely open.<br><br>Hope that helps.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
20 Jul 2004 08:54 #169591 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: July 17, 2004, Artist point, Ptarmigan access
The opening of the road all the way to Artist point typically is not till the end of July. Is your note based on experience or first hand knowledge? If you are not sure no big deal, I'll just walk it, or call the ranger station.<br>

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
20 Jul 2004 11:24 #169593 by markharf
Oh ye of little faith. The road opens anytime from June to August, depending. <br><br>I've been there. I'm going again tomorrow. <br><br>Have fun, and post a Ptarmigan Ridge report if you go.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
21 Jul 2004 02:21 #169597 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: July 17, 2004, Artist point, Ptarmigan access
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your information makes me feel much better, since I will be taking a friend who has not been there before!<br><br>Alan

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
21 Jul 2004 18:35 #169600 by markharf
You're welcome. To complicate matters, there's now a sign on the Mt. Baker Highway which sure seemed to say the road will be entirely closed next week. Sorry not to have paid closer attention, but I believe it said July 26th through 29th. <br><br>Please allow for the possibility that I imagined the whole thing (I was deep in conversation at the time, and forgot all about checking more closely on the way back to town), and check it out yourself.<br><br>Mark

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
22 Jul 2004 04:49 #169601 by Alan Brunelle
Thanks,<br><br>If I get the time I will call this today or tomorrow. But my guess is that they will clear the equipment out of the way for the weekends.<br><br>Alan