Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > late summer skiing near Vancouver???

late summer skiing near Vancouver???

• jebersole
  • [jebersole]
More
08 Jun 2004 03:08 #169431 by jebersole
late summer skiing near Vancouver??? was created by jebersole
Hi, all-<br>I'm a year-round tele skier from Colorado who will be in Vancouver in late August on business. I would love to do a day ski not too far from Vancouver. All I know now is to look in the Whistler / Garibaldi areas.<br><br>Can anyone point me to a fun ski of 0.5 to 1 day?<br>Thanks,<br>Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2004 07:42 - 08 Jun 2004 14:54 #169432 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: late summer skiing near Vancouver???
I'm sure others can give you better info than I but I've read plenty of reports of the snowfields below Black Tusk being a good late summer destination for turns.<br><br>The area is accessed via a road that goes up towards some big microwave towers between Squamish and Whistler. I think there might be some access issues (gated road?) and I've heard you need a high clearance vehicle to take advantage of the road access...rent a SUV in Vancouver and definitely get the extra insurance :)<br><br>If you do a search for 'Black Tusk' I bet you're bound to find some info.<br><br>That being said, you might want to pay attention to the weather as the summer progresses...if we have a scortcher of a year the year-round snow could be down to old neve. Also I seem to recall that last year late summer the BC gov't closed access to a lot of trailhead access roads and backcountry due to the high wildfire hazard.<br><br>you also might want to post your question on telemarktips.com...there's a good number of vancouver locals who write in there...they could probably point you towards a good spot.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
11 Jun 2004 09:12 #169442 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: late summer skiing near Vancouver???
Bud has some good suggestions. If you use the "Search in:<br>(1) Only primary trip reports" link (above left) and type in "Black Tusk" you should get 6 trip reports from the last few years. And with all of the visitors that Ttips gets, you are likely to get some more ideas. Good luck!