Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Fist Mount Baker Summit trip route tips please

Fist Mount Baker Summit trip route tips please

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
13 May 2004 11:07 #169346 by Schmitz
I planning on taking my first trip to the summit of mt. Baker, I want to know what the best route for a first timer would be, Colman Deming? Eston? How much of a wory are Cravases this time of may? What road/trail to get to the Mountain?<br><br>thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
13 May 2004 11:13 #169347 by powscraper
those kinds of questions make us nervous... you'll get better answers if you ask more knowledge-based and specific questions...<br><br>someone else want to do the "well-trained and certified mountain guide" spiel? I just can't bring myself to do that.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
13 May 2004 11:15 - 13 May 2004 11:16 #169349 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Fist Mount Baker Summit trip route tips please
Coleman-Deming. Stay on the cattle trail, crevasses are not to be ignored, but the risk is extremely reasonable IMHO. Easton has more crevasses than the CD in general. And if you do the Easton, you'll be in the company of snowmobiles. <br><br>Don't follow the summer trail, go straight up the gullies behind the toilets/trailhead, then traverse to the glacier. Dunno what road that is, but you can find it in any guidebook. Have fun. <br><br>Like Justin says, make sure that you know what you're getting into. Take a rope, and know how to use it. If you die, don't sue me.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
13 May 2004 11:17 #169350 by powscraper
wait nevermind, go ahead and do the Coleman Headwall Direct, it's in the Becky Guide but you don't have to bother looking at that, in fact, I think that dude Lani is going up there this afternoon when the route gets warm enough to climb in shorts.<br><br>btw, can I get an e-mail at newschoolers.com too?

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
13 May 2004 12:06 - 13 May 2004 12:06 #169351 by Schmitz
thanks for the info. I am quite experienced in alpine touring, but havent been on a glacier trip yet.<br><br>Getting an e-mail at Newschoolers.com is  also easy, and self explanitory.<br><br>one more question, is the true summit accesable, is it on the summit dome?

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
13 May 2004 12:34 - 13 May 2004 12:35 #169352 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Fist Mount Baker Summit trip route tips please

one more question, is the true summit accesable, is it on the summit dome?

Huh?  ???<br>

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
13 May 2004 12:35 #169353 by curmudgeon
Go 1/2 mile pst Glacier and turn right onto the Glacier Creek Road. Drive until you run into a bunch of cars. Hike up the road to the trailhead. If skinning, skin past the outhouses up the Grouse Creek gullies (any will do), skin under the Black Buttes to join the line from the Hogsback route. Get in line. Ask the guy in front of you or behind you if you can "clip in", if there is a bad section.<br><br>When you get on top on Grant's dome, head for the little spur across the summit where all the folks are sunbathing amidst pink flamingo's -- that's the summit.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
13 May 2004 13:29 - 13 May 2004 15:13 #169355 by powscraper
oh ok so there actually is a newschoolers.com.  Maybe you're not trolling... but it sure sounded like it.  Anyway my advice is don't fall in a crevasse.  How likely/unlikely that is, is pretty much up to your judgement.

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
13 May 2004 17:39 #169357 by Schmitz
Trolling? Oh, and thanks for the advice "username"

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
14 May 2004 04:51 #169358 by powscraper
Trolling is like going fishing for suckers who spend too much time on web forums, by posting whatever is necessary to get a response. Actually I had a suspicion that you were a friend of mine who had logged in as someone else in order to do that... but that's when I thought you had a made-up e-mail address, because it sounded like one. <br><br>Anyway, If you're seriously considering your first ski mountaineering trip then you might want to learn about mountain climbing basics (or have you?) and then climb roped with some other experienced mountaineers. That way what you don't know has less chance of killing you. But Baker tends to be a forgiving mountain, so there are any number of less advisable ways of climbing that people get away with all of the time. As far as more specific route information there are lots of things online, or you could buy a climbing guide for the mountain. People on this web board are going to be reluctant to give too much help because then they'll feel bad if something happens to you.<br><br>But hey, you could still be trolling, laughing your ass off as the himming and hawing continues, I know I would be! haha

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
14 May 2004 07:47 #169359 by Schmitz
Yeah, I am going with an expierienced climbing friend, he's done ptarmigan traverse. but not baker yet

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
14 May 2004 07:58 #169360 by powscraper
oh good. Have a good time! Baker is fun.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
14 May 2004 08:50 #169361 by Paul Belitz
After Skykilo's appearance on the Couloir Mag forums, Username has become paranoid. ;D