Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Cascades roads info

Cascades roads info

• frand
  • [frand]
More
20 Feb 2004 04:11 #168937 by frand
Cascades roads info was created by frand
<br>Hallo to everybody!<br><br>We are two italians planning to make a skitouring journey to Cascades in next May.<br><br>We are looking for info about access to Mt. Adams South Rib and Mt. Rainier from Sunrise.<br><br>1 - Is it possible to climb Adams from south side in May from Bird Creek Meadows? and what about road conditions? are they open and until where?<br><br>2 - We have to move from Adams to North side of Mt. Rainier. <br>Is the road from Trout lake to Randle open at this period?<br>or it is necessary to go back to Goldendale and then Yakima?<br>From there can we drive thorugh 12 then 123 and cross Cayuse pass? or by 410 and Chinook pass?<br><br><br>Thanks a lot in advance for your precious suggestions!<br><br>If anyone needs any kind of info about skiing in Alps, just ask!!!!<br><br><br>Ciao<br><br><br>Franz & il Marantz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• philfort
  • [philfort]
More
20 Feb 2004 04:52 #168939 by philfort
Replied by philfort on topic Re: Cascades roads info
1 - In may there will probably still be snow on the roads, so there will probably be a few extra miles of walking, but still doable. How much snow depends on the year. I'm not sure about early-season access to Bird Creek Meadows, but I know it's feasible from the road to Cold Springs.<br><br>2 - In early June of last year I believe the Trout Lake/Randle road was still closed by snow in spots. (I'm not absolutely positive, but we drove to the north side of Adams by Randle, and I think roads connecting to the south side were still snow-covered for a short section). Last year was an average snowpack.<br><br>Not sure when Cayuse pass opens, but it's probably some time in April or May. Here are the historical dates:<br>www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/PassDates.htm

The road to White River CG usually doesn't open until late May I think (Memorial Day wknd)... that's how you'd get to Camp Schurman. The hut there is for rangers only, you'd need a tent.
Road to Sunrise doesn't open until late June or July I think.
The park's website probably has more details:
www.nps.gov/mora/home.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.