Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Want splitboard advice

Want splitboard advice

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
26 Nov 2003 14:13 #168652 by powscraper
Want splitboard advice was created by powscraper
Does anyone here own, or have experience constructing, a splitboard? I have the perfect old board and a desire to find out what all of this 'skinning' is about. Any advice on making one, or buying one? Has anyone used the Voile do-it-yourself kit?<br><br>Thanks<br>Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2003 16:21 #168653 by sag
Replied by sag on topic Re: Want splitboard advice
I've been on a split-board for about five years now. I've ridden both the Burton and Voile. I've also snow shoed and used ascent skis and this is what I have to say on the subject; The Burton is the most solid ride you can get in a split setup. Unfortunately it is heavy as all get out and the least reliable system out of all modes of ascent I have tried. If you go with the Burton purchase 2 extra interface plates,keep em in your pack and any problems you run into won't ruin your tour. I still use mine as a rock board it's great on corn ,crud & crust as long as the weather is good changing modes is no problem(providing you havent bent the interface). I use mine for late summer and early fall. The Voile system is bomb proof and simple. The crampon system for the Voile is alot more secure and gives you more options for use (fixed or free heeled) and depending on if your climbing or traversing this is a nice option.The Voile also climbs and traverses much better than the Burton, and is much lighter. My 173 Voile is almost 2 pounds lighter than my Burton 166. I purchased the burton after riding a first generation Voile Split Decision. The space down the middle was a nightmare .Voile hase since made a few design adjustments and the problem has (in my opinion)been fixed. In deep snow you can't tell your on a split no matter whose deck your on. On ice the Voile is a little less stable than the Burton. For airs the Burton dominates the landings. In short Voile: more reliable, lighter and climbs (tours) better. Burton less reliable and heavy but the ride is sweet. No matter which setup you go for do your self a favorand get the crampons right off the bat. I use em on 70% of the tours I do. Also trim your skins down the side by about a cm this will help with traversing. since I got my first split I hardly ever go into the BC on a solid board. Only time I do is if a resort is tracked out. I keep VERTS in my pack for just this reason. good luck I hope this helped

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
27 Nov 2003 03:53 #168654 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: Want splitboard advice
Thanks sag.<br><br>Where is the closest place to Bellingham where I can check out a Voile split? I want to take a look at the construction to see how hard it would be to use the do-it-yourself kit on this old board I have, and decide whether to make my own, or start saving up.<br><br>You mentioned summer and fall conditions--does it still make sense to skin at that point? Last September I just took my jib board up on my back and cramponed/walked up (Baker, Glacier Peak). I guess we had a pretty dry season last year though.

More
27 Nov 2003 07:08 #168655 by sag
Where is the closest place to Bellingham where I can check out a Voile split? I want to take a look at the construction to see how hard it would be to use the do-it-yourself kit on this old board I have, and decide whether to make my own, or start saving up.<br><br>I don't know the Belingham area very well but I do know that REI has carried Burton in the past and and just this year started to carry Voile. In seattle you can get an up close look at the Burton at the Snowboard Connection under the viaduct on Alaskan wy. You can see the Voile at Second Ascent in Ballard.<br><br><br><br><br>You mentioned summer and fall conditions--does it still make sense to skin at that point?<br><br>I don't see any reason to carry extra weight on my back just because the weather is warmer. This is when I realy don't wan't to work harder. If you do have a trail approach and there is an exposed section the A-FRAME carry option of a split is awsome to cut wind resistance. If your gonna be spending all day climbing for your one or two runs enjoy the whole day. NO the splits do not ride as well as a solid but they ride good enough. I've ridden solids that don't ride as well as my splits for the kind of ridding I do. All of this advice is completely based on the style ofr riding you do. If your a jibber and you only want to hike a few hundred feet ,build a kicker and thats your day, don't waste your money on a split. If your out for long tours and big vertical there is nothing more apropriate than a nice big splitboard that you can spend all day on and enjoy both the ascent and decent.

More
27 Nov 2003 07:45 #168656 by sag
I also just wanted to point out that a home made split will not ride as well as a factory made one for two reasons. 1) the inside edge on most factory made models are fully wraped metal edges and 2) they make the sides seperately to improve rigidity. I suggest renting if you can to check it out. But if dollars is your biggest concern make your own. I think marmot mountain works in bellevue has a rental Voile.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
27 Nov 2003 07:50 #168657 by powscraper
Thanks for the info.<br><br>About the summer thing, I just assumed that skins don't work on frozen corn snow (i.e. in the morning) (?) I had no problem climbing Mt. Baker or Glacier Peak in Sept. with my little jibber on my back, it weighs next to nothing, and I'm sure much less than a split set-up. I'm more of a climber anyway though and just brought the board to make things interesting. Maybe a split will change that.<br><br>At what point exactly does it become impractical to use skins? What kind of conditions do you need to able to use them? Are they damaged by ice or frozen snow?

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
27 Nov 2003 08:00 #168658 by powscraper
I heard the Burton split has metal edges in the middle, is that also true for the Voile? I know you said so but I just wanted to make sure.<br><br>Oh and sizing.. I am 155 lbs and thinking about cutting an old Sims Search 165 that I picked up for $85. Does that sound about right? What are your riding specs? I just tried out the board yesterday and it turns out it rides like a dream in soft conditions. So good I don't want to make a mistake...

More
27 Nov 2003 08:30 #168659 by sag
any time there is any snow at all skins work. Damage has not been an issue for me I even leave em on some times for small patches of trail between snow. I skin on the volcanos year round on corn they are truly in they're element on ice I tend to add the crampons.<br><br>Yes, the voile also has a fully wraped edge.<br><br>As far as sizing. I'm under the impresion (and again this is all about riding style)bigger is better .I weigh 165 and I'm 5'10" I own a Burton 166 and the only reason I have a board this small is it was the first year they put em out and thats all they made. I have a Voile 173 for an all around board , a 178 swallow for pow and my next split purchase it will be a 195 swallow. I 'm not much for spinny tricks. I do however like to go realy fast and scream through my turns and the free ride mentality of a surfy feel tends to be where I gravitate.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
27 Nov 2003 09:52 #168660 by powscraper
Wow those are some long boards. The biggest thing I've ridden is this Search 165 but it drives pretty easy and jump-turns alright down the mogulled mess of the afternoon steeps at the lifts. As for shallow powder with a full backpack, I don't know...<br><br>Any problem jump-turning with the longer boards, like on firm steeps?<br><br>What's the advantage of the swallow-tail? Does it make it easier to turn in powder?

More
27 Nov 2003 16:49 #168661 by sag
The longer boards make riding deep snow with 30-40Lbs on your back both more stable and less work to stay on top. They are also alot faster, and speed is your friend. The 173 is fine for trees and jump turns it rides all the technical terrain well enough that I still ride with confidence, but again I prefer big boards and I'm more comfortable on big boards rather than small ones no matter what the terrain. My solid all around board for resort riding is an Arbor S-Series 170 and I think I'll go for the 174 next. This is all style of riding. I say bring a 20-30Lb pack next time your riding your board of choice in pow and if it rides the way you like then that size is good. If you feel bogged down go bigger.<br><br>As for the swallow tail. It's a powder rocket. The swallow tail and long nose and rear stance make it effortless to keep the nose up in deep snow. The design lets you crank out turns at full speed without risk of slowing down. It's more like ruddering than carving. With an over night pack this rules. Massive float and high speeds are what these were designed for.They ride alot surfyer than traditional shapes in deep snow.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
29 Nov 2003 01:54 #168662 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Want splitboard advice
Hello,<br><br>I built a split board for my teenage son to use on backcountry days. He loves it! It works really well for powder and was not that hard to make. It is time consumming and a detail oriented process. The inside edge was coated with three coats of epoxy. I live in B'ham also if you want to come round sometime and take a look at it.<br><br>He has used it for week long trips at Roger's Pass and in the backcountry around Baker. He would rather die than go back to the shoes!

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
29 Nov 2003 01:55 #168663 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Want splitboard advice
One more thing--The Coop in Vancouver has split kits for $85 dollars can.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
30 Nov 2003 04:39 #168669 by powscraper
Thanks Gregg, I sent you an IM. I just found another wood-core board, a very used Sims Max 166, for $20. I just cut it in half this morning!