Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > February 20, 2020 Crystal

February 20, 2020 Crystal

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2020 14:51 #233547 by Zap
February 20, 2020 Crystal was created by Zap
A wonderful way to finish our trip. For 9 days on the road and skiing 8 days we are back. WA, ID, MT, OR and back to WA with powder, fog, cold temperature and sunshine days. We started the day by being in the second row of free parking. Rode the gondola a few times, Green Valley, REX , Forest and the base lift. Yes, it was a groomer day with fast lines and big smiles. By noon, we drove home for a home shower. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2020 15:45 #233548 by CD
Replied by CD on topic Re: February 20, 2020 Crystal
I call it a mildly surprising 4 out of 5 day.

2 out of 2 for weather again. Bluebird skies, wind in the morning that quit, and warmer temperatures.

Skiing started out just like yesterday with awesome groomers, although GV right was better this morning as loose snow blew in there over night taking the edge off. Skied Valley-Bergs until C6 opened. Powder Bowl had also improved some from yesterday (or maybe I was getting re-familiarized with our snow after a week in Montana). Bear Pits had not improved. Headed back up 6 to try Cambell Basin. Snow was funky and not worth a repeat, so another PB, skipping BP. Took some laps on the GV chair, but it was running at 70% speed. When I asked the lift op about it, he actually had an answer! He said maintenance had set the top speed and he was told if anyone asked about it, tell them they're lucky the chair is even running. Hmmmmm. Noticed Ferkberg softening at 11:30, so dropped into the Gulley below Memorial Forest. Needed another 30 minutes. At noon, jumped into Showtime. Needed another 30 minutes, so went back to Gulley. Nice. Did laps there until sometime after 1 and tried Showtime again. Getting better, but still not there. It also toasted my legs. So, grabbed the pack and headed up for one last top-to-bottom which put me over 40K for the day. I'll be generous and give the snow a 2 out of 3 for today. Better than yesterday.

More
20 Feb 2020 17:00 #233549 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: February 20, 2020 Crystal
Other stuff - Gosh Zap would have been nice to bump into you both, maybe the next time you visit Crystal after your shower.  Gosh CD! 40k, lordy
when your solo and doing T2B you can rack up the vert oh meter (and if you dont take extra long CB lodge visits since
your not on vaca this week). I got my season big daily vert total (which this season is not saying much) and I'm happy to be back in the Hamster Treadmill.

Short report - Great day, Great sun, Great lack of participation from the masses, Great groomers early (well LS and MIFB),
Great pleasant temps, Great no real winds.  Just a Great day all in all.

Wordy report - Arrived typical time to semi reasonable parking in the A lot this season. Light early crowd and really no
crowds on the important lifts. Heard about stop and go and slow on some lifts, but luckily I wasn't in those places.
Snow? As noted the two groomers I did today were very smooth and happy early. Other - GV Bowl was very nice and getting
better, chalky carveable happy sized bumps (did it many many times today, early with BINX and friend). When I saw the green
light on HC I was gone. Two PB/BP laps made me very happy (found my hamster treadmill line and it was good!). Hooked
up with #1 who had a very nice morning and we skied down through Kellys Gap - good for her and I got to  ski some happy
packed bumps below rock face and getting nice lower E bumps in the sun on skiers left side.  After a to long for me
visit to CB lodge, I dragged the Ferkinator (Mr Upper/MIFB/Lower Ferk run) away from his Bride for a couple more
PB/BP runs (as Goldilocks would say just right!). Parted ways when we met up  with our respective #1's and I finished
my day with another Upper and Lower E run - very good up high, a little workish mid and still happy carveable bumps on
the bottom skier right side next to the trees, but with very happy big bumps!  Great day, want more, love these kinda
days.

Other info - Got to park in the A lot behind a massive pay and carpool lot. When we left (and the view from the top of
Exterminator), 7 buses, not full pay lot, weird carpool parking area, rest of A full and I spaced on the B and C lots -
I know they had cars, but pretty sure no where as many as on Tuesday. Drive up and down was at speed and happy.
Ready for the mid winter break to be over.