Bluewood 2020

• Micah
  • [primate]
More
15 Jan 2020 20:00 - 15 Jan 2020 20:17 #233321 by Micah
Bluewood 2020 was created by Micah
Jan. 15: Had a great time skiing Bluewood today. 30" since the lifts were last spinning. Untracked powder all day. Legs are beat. Jackhammer and 2xScorpio crossing two tracks total in legit knee-deep powder (rocky mtn. caliber powder) under sunny bluebird. Sure the runs could be steeper. Or longer. But hard to beat skiing tens of thousands of vertical feet of untracked snow for $35. Snowing fairly hard when I left at closing. Slick road with real deer hazard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Jan 2020 12:33 #233324 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Bluewood 2020
Cool report. Ski Bluewood sounds really unusual. The Blues and Wallowas are remote, yet so close for the Rockies!

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Jan 2020 21:31 #233332 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Bluewood 2020
So Blue wood is closer than I think huh? I looked at the map and saw no reference points...I like powder in the trees, but I think I need to live closer than Wenatchee - which I thought was pretty central! But I am intrigued.

More
17 Jan 2020 08:25 #233333 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: Bluewood 2020
I skied there quite a few years ago and the condition of the approach road was so bad it discouraged me from returning. Has the road improved? Would be good to know.

• Micah
  • [primate]
More
17 Jan 2020 10:51 #233338 by Micah
Replied by Micah on topic Re: Bluewood 2020
avajane: No way I would drive from Wenatchee to ski Bluewood! If you happen to need to go to Walla Walla or Pendleton....

filbo: Road is in good shape. I'm not sure how far it is paved (was snowy all the way from Dayton on Wed.), but it's smooth. Personally, I think Dayton --> Bluewood is easier than Wenatchee --> Mission due to two factors: 1) road is lower angle, 2) fewer aggressive drivers. You really get the true cultural experience, too, with homemade 'drain the swamp' signs and flags everywhere.

• Micah
  • [primate]
More
05 Feb 2020 21:00 #233444 by Micah
Replied by Micah on topic Re: Bluewood 2020
2/5: Legit powder day until lunch. Snowed all day, and tracks filled in. Around a foot of low-density snow on a rock hard base that you could feel on steep slopes. After lunch it was noticeably warmer, snow was denser, and the customers were gone. Barely tracked lines right from the top of the lift until closing. Started raining at 4. Didn't pay attention to the road cuz homeboy drove. He almost hit a deer. (Turns out the road is paved all the way to the resort.)