Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Whistler/Blackcomb 1/5/20

Whistler/Blackcomb 1/5/20

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Jan 2020 19:12 #233223 by avajane
Whistler/Blackcomb 1/5/20 was created by avajane
Can't wait to tell you all about the Alpine after so much new snow, however extremely high, peak top winds, made that impossible. Much smaller lines today, but there was still the feeling of an overstuffed resort, with few places to go for the best skiers and riders in the resort. It's so unusual that this area is still so constricted well into January...All that being said,the snow quality was excellent today, and there was good riding from almost top to bottom.

Seeing the wind reports, we went up Creekside Gondola and then right down to an empty Garbonzo. There was still fresh powder all around Raven, and Ptarmigan, but it was weirdly crunchy underneath the new stuff. I had thought that the 13 inches from the day before would have helped that - but it didn't...No touching Seppo's!.....So we kept skiing and switched resorts the old fashioned way at the bottom. Nice groomers! Worked the next couple of hours on Blackcomb Gondola, Jersey Cream, and Cat Skinner. Bark Sandwich was nearly in shape, cutting over to Staircase/Bite was worthwhile, stayed away from Crystal because of the line, and the lower elevations. I must admit that after realizing the top wasn't opening, and that the Seahawks were on in Seppos...I took much of the afternoon off. I did make important observations on my way down, however, and can tell you that there is plenty of snow on Lower Franz's, and that Lower Peak to Creek would be much better, if several hundred skiers and riders would knock down the heavy sludge I found on top of a very bumpy, breakable, rain crust. Not getting injured while doing this research was a good thing...I think there is really enough snow to groom now - but if the Peak isn't open...

No more snow needed right now - just need the wind to die down, and the Avy danger to subside, and for the Alpine to open. Tomorrow would be nice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
06 Jan 2020 07:41 #233231 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Whistler/Blackcomb 1/5/20
They groomed everything in the Alpine last night so it should really open today!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.