Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > 12/18/2019 Whistler Wind and Storm

12/18/2019 Whistler Wind and Storm

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Dec 2019 22:33 #233168 by avajane
12/18/2019 Whistler Wind and Storm was created by avajane
Another nasty base building day. Again, just barely raining in the Village, and good snow everywhere else. Caught the 8:30 Gondo then made judgement errors than cost me some good snow. The wind was so bad that skiers right from Roundhouse was completely wind hammer and wind cake. Very hard to turn. Took a hard right and took the flat trail to Marmot. Heavy turns, but at least real powder instead of groomers. Skipped Emerald, and rode the roped off Olympic all the way to the Village (No soft snow on this route!) Upper Franz's was nice and smooth and not as iced up as usual with all of the never ending snow. They threw several bombs in the Alpine, but not anywhere enough to be trying to open it up...Had to work so took 11:00-1:30 off. Came back with my lightweight skin kit and put in a track up hiway 86 just past Grand Finale. Too late to go much further, and I was suspicious that the beautiful fresh would be too slow to ski except on the steepest (24 degree) parts of the road. I was right. A solid 12-16" of fresh, but hurt my knee to turn, and had to ski my skin track some....Made for one good picture :(

Hope the wind dies off but the snow keeps up. So far it's still raining on the swimming pool in Creekside so my bet is that at least Harmony and Glacier open by Friday!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.