Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - Opening Day 11/23/2018

Crystal - Opening Day 11/23/2018

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Nov 2018 15:05 - 23 Nov 2018 15:12 #232022 by ddk
Opening 2018 was by far not the biggest and best, but it was fun to get on the lazy lift served treadmill again. Crystal marketing put a lot of effort for the first day, drones and multi cams and hoopla and they even started loading a half hour early.  Crowd was small as you would expect with the limited opening and options and conditions, but it was fun, the snow quality was better than expected - boot top light pow on Queens, the snow making ice was skiable with the Rock Coombas early and very nice with the BMW's for the second half of my short day - long enough day to wake up my ski legs.  Managed to survive the narrow gauntlet from the top of CHex to the bottom of FQex...dodging snowboarder obstacles on the path.  Grooming was okay and actually got better as the relatively light crowd cut and smoothed the slopes.  It was colder than expected, with snow flurries and some filtered sun. Was getting a little damper on the goggles when I quit.  The crowd was getting a little bigger, the parking lots a little fuller, the party was getting louder at the base. Seeing many of the Crystal employees and some of the hard core snow fanatics was fun...Pretty much just enough for the first day to make the trip worth it. Mountain was a lot whiter with the new snow, we just need a heck of a lot more.

Other - Pay lot not full (duh!), rest of A was full with circling cars when I left, cars in B and C. Lots of traffic driving up 410 still when I was leaving.  Crystal Blvd had snow on it on the drive up this morning and was pretty slippery, still had snow on it when I left, but the traction seemed okay other than some folks driving down that must never have driven on snow - luckily I got passed them quickly and easily.

Fun if limited start to the season, good for my old quads and rocks skis, ready for more. ;D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Nov 2018 08:57 #232025 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Crystal - Opening Day 11/23/2018
You know lift season is under way when ddk starts posting  8)  Glad to read that it was decent.
We are headed to Stevens to skin the runs.
I expect next Friday will be our first Xtal day.
Turn 'em down!

• skibacks
  • [skibacks]
More
26 Nov 2018 09:54 #232033 by skibacks
Replied by skibacks on topic Re: Crystal - Opening Day 11/23/2018
Nice to see your smiling font. Thanks for taking one for the team. Surprised that there was no chirping about being on the season's first chair!

Keep up the good work, Dan