Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > 3/31/18 Crystal Mountain

3/31/18 Crystal Mountain

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2018 18:48 - 31 Mar 2018 19:26 #231534 by CMSkier
3/31/18 Crystal Mountain was created by CMSkier
Arrived at 7:30 and parked in the front row of free parking. Back about 1/2 mile that was reserved for those with 625$ to burn. They'd left only a half dozen rows of A Lot's sphincter for scumbags (I assume that's what they call us).

Sunny at the get-go showed promise that quickly faded as high overcast moved in. Off-piste is a disaster obvious with one turn. Groomers were hard and icy and covered in ice balls. Only runs that softened were Lower Bull and Lower E. After some poking around, settled on the Rat Wheel of Snorting Elk to Lower E. Saw a couple takers on Powder Bowl - one turn, wish you weren't here, another turn, wish you weren't here. Crystal might have closed PB and Northway and Southback, the open run lights disagreed (and we saw no one on PB after 11:00). Just as we were ready to exit the Rat Wheel, the sun came back out. Re-Ditch the packs and get back on the wheel. Slalom deer-in-the-headlights people on SE Bowl, Sluiceway slightly softened, Berry Patch we skied our hard won line in the crunch now slightly soft, and Lower E won the Hoot-of-the-Day award. 13 T2Bs completed, we quit for the second time. Nothing will be good without heat, sun, or 2' of new snow.

No lift lines anywhere today. Funny to see the huge crowds on Luckyshot, Iceberg, and Lower Bull Run. And nobody on The Frontside, Powder Bowl, Bear Pits.... etc. Tells you something.

Awesome to see the She Jumps gang out today. Tutus, dinosaur costumes, and young girls tearing around checking out the mountain with ski patrol. They had lunch in a tent on mountain top, no time for soup today.

At the end of the day, the paid parking was only half full of parking pass holders. The rest was loosely filled with late arriving interlopers. This has to end.

Ken
+

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2018 20:30 #231536 by BB
Replied by BB on topic Re: 3/31/18 Crystal Mountain
Sorry to have missed you today. A late start after a late night (for me) and my needed 9 hours of sleep. I would not recommend doing what I did to obtain a handicapped parking pass but it is pretty sweet. Late in the day several young crews made a valiant attempt at the front side but were a few degrees and several dozen riders short of making it worthwhile. I agree the lower mountain was the best snow today although  several really fast Pro Course trips were grin worthy. I hope to be up every Saturday until the end as I have the 2018-2019 pass now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.