March 6, 2018 Whitefish

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Mar 2018 09:30 #231340 by Zap
March 6, 2018 Whitefish was created by Zap
We finally had a powder day. I have heard "this term" at Crystal, but Whitefish can also say that it is BIG. You can get lost with the vast terrain at different gullies, bowls, and sides of the mountain. I was here about 20 years ago when 205cm skis were the "best" and 4- or 6-seat lifts and express lifts didn't exist. The mountains have not grown, but the term of 'Big Mtn. had meaning even back then.

With 15 lifts I only remember a few stashes. I wish I still had young legs... There was 3" of powder and it snowed all day. It was a day of groomed and untracked lines. Being in our 70's we get free tickets - no passes necessary. Whitefish is a growing town and the ski area is only 10 minutes from town. Backcountry folks have enormous options. Plus you are next to Glacier National Park. Drive on US-2 for a nice route or take the train to Kalispell which is nearby. We love this place and had a great day finding lots of untracked powder on packed powder. Visibility wasn't great in one terrain and so we moved to another, When it is BIG, you have options. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Mar 2018 11:40 #231345 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: March 6, 2018 Whitefish
Top of Summit lift -- not great visibility! Notice the ghost trees in the backround. We found some nice untracked powder when we got down off the ridge.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.