Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > March 6, 2017 Steamboat -Powder

March 6, 2017 Steamboat -Powder

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Mar 2017 21:01 - 08 Mar 2017 06:54 #229114 by Zap
March 6, 2017 Steamboat -Powder was created by Zap
During the night the predicted snow and wind storm arrived.  The snow forecast was for 2” overnight but instead  it was boot-top powder. I was here 30 years ago when thin skis were normal and the plane misplaced some of my luggage, but it was a powder weekend and I loved the tree skiing. 

We found a ski boot technician the afternoon that we arrived in Steamboat who fixed Jill's ski boot to relieve the pressure on her ankle. A couple of locals told us where to park for free to catch the shuttle bus to the Village. Again we used our MAX Passes; here they don't require a separate lift ticket, you just put the Pass in your left lower pocket and proceed as usual. The winds were extreme and it definitely diminished the number of skiers (or they left after a run or 2). We looked like Michelan men with all of the clothes we had on, but it worked to keep us warms plus using hand warmers. We rode to the top at 10,400' and found wind that stopped you in your tracks. Drifts, powder, and tree skiing – what fun!  Jill's boot fix worked and in spite of the conditions she (we) had a blast skiing the powder. It was enjoyable seeing her smiling in winds of 50-60mph! The backside Morningside lift was closed and we decided to ski at lower elevations with more tree coverage/protection. Steamboat doesn't have peaks with steep couloir areas, but it has great terrain with lots of the treed areas and has a good feel to it. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2017 16:16 #229139 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: March 6, 2017 Steamboat -Powder
Steamboat has some to the best tree skiing I have ever had at a ski area! Glad your having fun at my #1's fav area!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.