Stevens- Tue 2/7

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
07 Feb 2017 19:08 #228661 by Quick foot
Stevens- Tue 2/7 was created by Quick foot
It was payback time for getting burned on super bowl Sunday. It was a go any where day. Not a bad run anywhere. The worst was 7th, only because of some flat light, the snow was very good. Trees, all good, big moguls, just blast right through them, Pegasus face area, sweet, all the edges off the groomers, just fun. The groomed itself held up well. No lines and a good commute. The fantastic four nailed it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
07 Feb 2017 23:13 #228667 by Donnelly_M
Replied by Donnelly_M on topic Re: Stevens- Tue 2/7
I figure rather than start a new thread and clog up the forum, here is some video of the POW that was to be had. No blogging, no groomers, no terrain park, just some good old fashion pow turns!

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
08 Feb 2017 15:40 #228674 by nordique
Replied by nordique on topic Re: Stevens- Tue 2/7
That is one great video! My thighs are burning, just from watching it! Great skiing, great video, great endurance!

More
08 Feb 2017 16:29 #228675 by bigeo
Replied by bigeo on topic Re: Stevens- Tue 2/7
Thanks for the video, Donnelly! My son and I were up there yesterday farming our usual powder stash. What a great day, without a touch of frenzy. Wondering if you would be willing to divulge the location (as specifically as you dare) of your run. Hope we get some more days like that this winter.

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
08 Feb 2017 18:34 - 08 Feb 2017 18:53 #228682 by Donnelly_M

Wondering if you would be willing to divulge the location (as specifically as you dare) of your run. Hope we get some more days like that this winter.

At the top of the Southern Cross lift, you traverse going east and you will come across a series of open bowls above the treeline.  I stopped at what appeared to be the high point, about 2.5 km east of the top of the lift.  Be weary of hidden cliff bands, especially once you get into the trees.  There is also a a major cliff band to the skier's left of where I started near the beginning of the video.  Bring skins!! Depending on your line, you could end up 4 km from the base of the lift like I did. Not having skins, it took me 90 minutes to get back to the base of the lift once at the bottom of the pow run.  With skins, it would have probably taken no longer than 20-30 minutes and would have been perfect to do repeat laps!

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Feb 2017 20:20 #228685 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Stevens- Tue 2/7

I figure rather than start a new thread and clog up the forum

Nice session Mr Miller

More
08 Feb 2017 20:41 #228688 by bigeo
Thanks Donnelly! I've been out that way a few times, but only with people who know where to go. I do realize there are some "hazards" dropping off that ridge. Is the area where you skiied referred to as Wenatchee Bowl?

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
12 Feb 2017 11:51 #228737 by Donnelly_M

Thanks Donnelly! I've been out that way a few times, but only with people who know where to go. I do realize there are some "hazards" dropping off that ridge. Is the area where you skiied referred to as Wenatchee Bowl?

I believe I skied Highland Bowl. It looks as if Wenatchee Bowl goes towards the highway.
freeskier.com/stories/lift-accessed-back...ee-bowl-stevens-pass

More
12 Feb 2017 17:51 #228743 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: Stevens- Tue 2/7
Nice video!

Steven's looks sweet

More
12 Feb 2017 22:43 #228750 by bigeo
Ok, I get it now. When I first watched the video I thought you had dropped of the left (highway) side of the ridge. I have actually skiied the upper part of the run you did before, but cut back skier's right pretty early to avoid the hike up the nordic track at the bottom. Next time I ski Stevens in conditions like that, I'll take my skins and ride it all the way down the way you went. Seems like it would be worth the effort of skinning back to the lift. Thanks for the beta.