Crystal 1/30

• Bill
  • [big bill]
More
30 Jan 2017 14:37 - 30 Jan 2017 14:46 #228513 by Bill
Crystal 1/30 was created by Bill
Teacher work day, so with 80 days left in my teaching career, it was time to head to the hills, no kids to teach, just teachers bitching about a great profession of teaching kids, the hills is what I needed today to be better in the classroom tomorrow, so it was to pull into A lot at the very end of it late, shoulder the Darksides and boot up. Jump into a bucket of full timers and did they know the bata on everything from when the buses came in to why the Gondy was put in to why the A lot should be bigger and why not build a triple decker parking facility in B lot with lift access from there, (not that far fetched), These folks were dialed into Crystal, anyway......got off in time to chat with the Everest Redcoat and his wife at the top, why he was skiing in this stuff on his day off, God only knows, he was doing the Tele thing and man can he turn them. I followed them into GV gut Groomed was good and off groom was scary, too scary for my old ass. a few runs there and Elk had me heading Lucky, only to run into The off duty Everest redcoat again, His wife can ski fast and she can turn em as well. I thought I would lap The F Queen a bit in the hopes of some softer snow, so I slid down C Mack only to follow the Everest Red Coat dust once again, I guess they were looking for the same thing, not to be found, I rolling knolls to deerfly out and was home to have Lunch with my number one. My new jacket felt good, hand me down from number one Son (pro Deal), I had a Beacon on, the Jacket has a Reco chip in it, I put some peperoni in my pack( the peperoni helps the dogs find you faster, just another layer of safety(my theory)), although it would take an earthquake to get this snow to move. Hope the Friday storm will bring some new.  I never go into the Campbell Lodge, so no soup report.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
30 Jan 2017 14:51 #228514 by nordique
Replied by nordique on topic Re: Crystal 1/30
Entertaining TR, thanks! 80 days to retirement? Or just end of school year? I retired in 2008, after 43 years of full-time work, and it's been GREAT!

• Bill
  • [big bill]
More
30 Jan 2017 15:46 #228515 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Re: Crystal 1/30
Both, , then I can ski and park in A lot all the time........Think Snow

More
30 Jan 2017 16:06 #228517 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal 1/30
Ah what a day….got home at 3pm…check TAY for a CD report?  Not!  Already an everestbigbill report with a follow up post?  Wow?  The world is spinning.  Congrats on not many more days of work…summer will be awsome and next winter will be great…got mine in 2009 and have never missed work since….  Anyway…

The wordy report – Pulled into the A lot later than normal and wow! We parked in the row by the Alpine Inn bridge (HEAVEN – on a weekday, finally).  Rested a bit and still jumped onto a CHex chair very shortly after 8:45 and the early rush had already dispersed.  Vis and weather looked happy nice early, but most of the day was pretty grey high overcast, kinda flat light at times, never really bad, but never really great either….some almost sun break attempts…but…  Looked a lot nicer for filtered sun up mid north and especially way north at Baker.  Groomers were screamer smooth fast all day – not enough traffic to really damage them.  Off piste was firmer – only ones I did today were GV bowl (happy enough for the Coombas) and PB – gotta say a little firmer than last Friday…but still mighty fine with lots of smooth carving styro (and steep to wake up the brain).  #1 had a great day skiing on FQex early and with me late morning up in GV. Felt colder all day than the telemetry indicated – high humidity? Grey skies? Winds were light.  My day was total hamster – never went farther north than GV bowl to MIFB or farther south than PB/LS (one fun to the base of GV chair).  Fun day Skiing! What else could be funner? – did chores the last couple days and was happy to do them, but sad that I was doing them….ha, ha!  Lookin forward to hearing where CD and all went.

Other – Soup at CB was the usual….Triple C and Chicken Noodle (for me! And I got a very nice bowl again – dang!)  Not many folks on the mountain – was on REX a few times where it felt like I was almost the only person on the lift.  Parking was the best of the weekday season, small space for buses (and no buses), small pay lot (not full), some cars in C and B….Great day working out the quads and Coombas – great carving skis and great off piste firm pack bounce around snow!....Yee Haa!

• Bill
  • [big bill]
More
30 Jan 2017 16:20 - 31 Jan 2017 05:18 #228519 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Re: Crystal 1/30
I left early , just to report and the skiing was.... well you know.. I hope to be able to park next to you guys soon, and yes, I will be there next year all the time....heck I'm there now a lot..just saying, if it's going to be deep, I'm there before you and Lisa P get's into the patrol room , trust me, I just don't STASH MY SKIS IN FRONT OF PEOPLE STANDING IN LINE, just saying, back east your shit would be thrown into the creek, you want coffee, take your skis with you. LOCAL

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
30 Jan 2017 16:37 #228520 by nordique
Replied by nordique on topic Re: Crystal 1/30
Love that but where back east? I don't recall ever throwing anyone's skis in a creek, way back way east!

More
30 Jan 2017 16:59 #228522 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal 1/30

I'm there before you and Lisa P get's into the patrol room , trust me, I just don't STASH MY SKIS IN FRONT OF PEOPLE STNDING IN LINE, just saying, back east your shit would be thrown into the creek, you want coffee, take your skis with you. LOCAL

Sorry...I didnt say anything about parked skis? Did I? I park my skis many days around 7:30am, but am in line the minute I see anybody standing around...and many times way before anybody is standing around (other than lift opp's...I get grief from those folks plenty). Lookin foward to finally meeting you...I'm usually the obnoxous guy in the right slot on CHex early in the morning...please say hi...many folks would like to meet you. Unless I'm with #1 when I am much more casual ;)

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Jan 2017 19:50 #228527 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Crystal 1/30
Much like the parking, paid lift privileges will return.