Crystal - 3/22

• CD
  • [CD]
More
22 Mar 2016 15:45 #226605 by CD
Crystal - 3/22 was created by CD
A very nice drive up today with only one other car on the road. The pay lot was way too big again and had only a couple rows in it when I left. For most of the day, it felt like my own private ski area due to lack of crowds.

It snowed lightly off and on all day, but not enough for any accumulation. Last night's 3 inches was 6 - 8 inches in some places and zero in others. The snow underneath was hard. Luckily, some of the slopes had been rain smoothed.

Visibility was an issue today. The first run down Ferkberg was vertigo inducing blindness. A run down one of the doors proved to be very challenging snow conditions and since I was nursing a tweaked back, not the place to be. Fortunately, there was clearing in Green Valley and the snow was fairly good there, particularly the right side of the bowl and Grubstake face. Snorting Elk bowl was good at the top, funky at the bottom. Just before noon, there was some clearing over on C6, so headed for Powder Bowl. The top 3/4 of PB was excellent and fairly deep new snow. The bottom quarter, the new snow hid hard bumps and there was a funky rain crust on the snow. The next run up, clearing in Campbell Basin. Not as good as PB with most of it rain crusted. Back for many laps on PB to finish the day. The trick was to ski main chute, then about a third of the way down, traverse way right until you hit the smooth snow and head down from there. That way, only 3 - 4 funky turns at the bottom.

As for tomorrow, I think there needs to be another 3 - 4 inch refresh of new snow tonight or it might be a groomer day. And today, the groomers packed out hard even with the very light crowd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Mar 2016 19:16 #226610 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Crystal - 3/22
Must have felt even more private to the pay lot folks.

More
22 Mar 2016 20:01 #226611 by myikat
Replied by myikat on topic Re: Crystal - 3/22
Very quiet on 6 and fresh tracks to be had all over in A basin and the King. A little heavy but no crust. Sun came out around 2. Never got to Silver basin .

• skibacks
  • [skibacks]
More
23 Mar 2016 11:18 #226623 by skibacks
Replied by skibacks on topic Re: Crystal - 3/22
Skied a few hours afternoon.  GV-TreeIsle to Ferks was hamsterish for us.  Closed out a short day with King to Silver Basin.  4-6" of smooth above and high speed ball dodging below.