Crystal - 03/14!

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Mar 2016 17:34 #226507 by ddk
Crystal - 03/14! was created by ddk
Wooo Hooo, Yee Haa, Big Happy, Ouch, Lordy lordy what a day ;D…Nasty for some, Really big for most…A really great day to have to suffer skiing at Crystal! Arrived way to early (glad since the drive from Greenwater was a sign of how big and nice and deep the skiing would be), planned on eating a casual breakfast at the base – not to be…no gas for the kitchen (or some unknown item that makes the grills work…?). Small hard core crowd primed for early load…big frenzy up loading and bigger frenzy screaming down the slopes…gotta say it was one of the best most perfect soft light deep go anywhere days I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy since at least – December. A little early freeze fog on the goggles, but mostly great vis, some sun during the day, some pretty nice snow falling, no winds!, no lift lines, no crowds – especially after HC and NW opened. Heard big things about all over the place out North. I enjoyed a very happy for me untracked line down PB right after HC opened, by far my happiest deepest smoothest great vis run I’ve had in a while (bigger lucky than I knew at the time, since HC broke down shortly later and had folks stuck on it for at least an hour – nock on wood (my head) that I wasn’t on the lift at that time). Lots of fun on REX from GV bowl to M-World to Sunnyside to Breakover to Doors to OuterFerks to Bearpits…all great fun untracked early and lots of left over patches and cut up soft to scream through (did I mention the Coombas finally made it out of the garage! Lordy they were happy today!). Did Upper Bull and lower what ever with J D today…been a long time since I’ve actually done that run..it was fun… So as usual…today was fun for me…duuhhh…Great conditions…might be a little firmer lumpy packed on some slopes tomorrow based on a little sun and heat…I was surprised how lumpy GV bowl felt mid day.

Other – Soup was not soup or really anything else…no gas or whatever they use to cook and heat food…CB lodge no food, base lodge no food – except for the Bullwheel and the little store at the base. Probably a big impact on the cash flow today. The A lot was pretty typical for a Monday, but C and B had a pretty fair crowd of cars.

Other Other – Drive up was a challenge since DOT wasn’t plowing 410 very early…heard about some stupid high speed spin outs. Drive down early when I left was pretty casual and lazy.

Great day, the snow pack is getting deeper and deeper all the time…keep sliding on the snow so I can keep skiing till at least May (locally)
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T_Scheib
  • [T_Scheib]
More
14 Mar 2016 21:19 #226511 by T_Scheib
Replied by T_Scheib on topic Re: Crystal - 03/14!
so good, so deep. HC ended up running again the last hour. Nothing better than late day freshies.

• Just Reid
  • [Just Reid]
More
28 Mar 2016 01:21 #226690 by Just Reid
Replied by Just Reid on topic Re: Crystal - 03/14!
Should have stopped at the Elk.

Wooo Hooo, Yee Haa, Big Happy, Ouch, Lordy lordy what a day ;D…Nasty for some, Really big for most…A really great day to have to suffer skiing at Crystal!  Arrived way to early (glad since the drive from Greenwater was a sign of how big and nice and deep the skiing would be), planned on eating a casual breakfast at the base – not to be…no gas for the kitchen (or some unknown item that makes the grills work…?). Small hard core crowd primed for early load…big frenzy up loading and bigger frenzy screaming down the slopes…gotta say it was one of the best most perfect soft light deep go anywhere days I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy since at least – December.  A little early freeze fog on the goggles, but mostly great vis, some sun during the day, some pretty nice snow falling, no winds!, no lift lines, no crowds – especially after HC and NW opened.  Heard big things about all over the place out North. I enjoyed a very happy for me untracked line down PB right after HC opened, by far my happiest deepest smoothest great vis run I’ve had in a while (bigger lucky than I knew at the time, since HC broke down shortly later and had folks stuck on it for at least an hour – nock on wood (my head) that I wasn’t on the lift at that time).  Lots of fun on REX from GV bowl to M-World to Sunnyside to Breakover to Doors to OuterFerks to Bearpits…all great fun untracked early and lots of left over patches and cut up soft to scream through (did I mention the Coombas finally made it out of the garage!  Lordy they were happy today!). Did Upper Bull and lower what ever with J D today…been a long time since I’ve actually done that run..it was fun… So as usual…today was fun for me…duuhhh…Great conditions…might be a little firmer lumpy packed on some slopes tomorrow based on a little sun and heat…I was surprised how lumpy GV bowl felt mid day.

Other – Soup was not soup or really anything else…no gas or whatever they use to cook and heat food…CB lodge no food, base lodge no food – except for the Bullwheel and the little store at the base.  Probably a big impact on the cash flow today.  The A lot was pretty typical for a Monday, but C and B had a pretty fair crowd of cars.

Other Other – Drive up was a challenge since DOT wasn’t plowing 410 very early…heard about some stupid high speed spin outs.  Drive down early when I left was pretty casual and lazy. 

Great day, the snow pack is getting deeper and deeper all the time…keep sliding on the snow so I can keep skiing till at least May (locally)
;)