Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > 1/8/11 Meany Lodge-Deep! + Xmas + Dummy Jump

1/8/11 Meany Lodge-Deep! + Xmas + Dummy Jump

• artfreeman
  • [artfreeman]
More
10 Jan 2011 08:17 #216522 by artfreeman
This last weekend was fabulous at Washington's oldest continuously operating ski area.  There was an honest foot of new snow by Sunday morning.  See first photo below.   Try as we might, we left on Sunday with a lot of untouched pow going to waste.

No new gondolas this year, but we did repair all the snow cats and put a brand new 1 inch braided nylon rope on the famous "Mach Tow."  All systems are go.  Meany, near Stampede Pass, is run by The Mountaineers and is about 3 miles in from the Crystal Springs Snow Park.  If you Search this site for Meany Lodge you'll see other postings with more info (or www.meanylodge.org).

The Holiday week also had some excellent days.  Monday was thick but very skiable powder, then that nasty rain event and resulting crust.  But it got good again once the crust was covered by about a foot of new snow.  The lodge was full over New Years and about 2/3 full the rest of the time.  Here's a 6 minute video that I had a lot of fun making.

And here is another 4 minute video from last year's annual spring carnival weekend.  Stimson Premium Stud Man ruled the dummy jump, and the ride up the "thin white line" is guaranteed to give you a thrill.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2011 17:57 #216560 by Zap
Art,

The accolades are probably pouring in.  I assume this will be a featured film at the upcoming Mountaineers Backcountry Film Festival.

The freeing of the rope on your load test was rather unique. 

I personally appreciate the unique elements captured in all your films.  Don't stop.   :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.