Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > April 14th Alpental BC

April 14th Alpental BC

• alpymarr
  • [alpymarr]
More
14 Apr 2007 23:59 #213053 by alpymarr
April 14th Alpental BC was created by alpymarr
Arrived at Alpy around 12:30 to rain/sun. Quickly turned to snow halfway up Armstrong then sun on 2. Took a few out of Edelweiss, really sticky mank. Headed out the high traverse to P Pass and noticed no one had gone up 261. Since it seems to be the norm for me to break trail up there I decided to do it again, solo. I know I sholdn't go alone, but an untracked bowl to myself seems to obliterate all rationality, except the freshie rational thinking. Rational thinking paid off as I was able to have Great Scott all to my lonesome, turns were sweet, definately the best snow all day. Still heavy and wet, but untracked nonetheless. Skied that into no fog, which was half mank and half chicken heads, but still nice to have to myself. Hiked the boot pack again to hit 261, but some took advantage of my efforts and hit it before me...oh well. Dropped it and it was still nice. Oh yeah, kinda slabby on the west side of 5261 going to the great scott traverse. Ski cuts released two 6 inch slabs with a high velocity. Skied their paths, which were on a sun/raincrust which was the primary slide surface. Watch out for these over cliffs and terrain traps, they were speedy and picked up lots of chunky slabby debris as they went increasing in volume fairly rapidly. Skinned out to the mid point of Great Wall chute. Pretty much sucked, choked out and tracked out, so I opted for a line skiers left of the chute and ended up halfway down the apron to source lk. All in all a good day of skiing. Lonesome bowls always make it worth it to me, even if the conditions are not ideal. Be up tomorrow for the last of the lift rides and hopefully a surprise dump!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
17 Apr 2007 09:49 #213062 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: April 14th Alpental BC
Did you get out on the 15th as well? We were out of town this weekend so we missed out. Looks like they have extended the schedule to extend to next weekend now. Woke up to a light dusting on the trees this morning and a snow line on Rampart and the forecast is showing snow all week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.