Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Feb 26-28. Whistler. Powder.

Feb 26-28. Whistler. Powder.

• Randonnee
  • [Randonnee]
More
28 Feb 2006 16:35 - 01 Mar 2006 02:46 #212376 by Randonnee
Feb 26-28. Whistler. Powder. was created by Randonnee
Crazy snowstorm to sea level Saturday night while driving; finally made it to Whistler late Sunday morning; shared 1000 acres of deep fluff on the Flute (in-area ski touring, no lifts, in-bounds, avy controlled, groomed access/ egress) with hardly anyone (!) while the hordes scrambled for the last specks of pow on the lifts. Unfortunately the warmup and 100 Kph winds Sunday night totally messed up the huge dump and caused closure of all of the high lifts and the Flute inbounds/ bc area on Monday. Today, no new snow and more gray weather made us bail on our last night to get back for some Wenatchee Mtns sunshine.<br><br>We had a late start Saturday to go to Whistler since I got a tour in on my Wenatchee Mtns. circuit in sunshine with 4" or so new. So we were heading up the Sea to Sky Hwy at 10 PM in a crazy storm like the worst winter storm on Stevens Pass. There were clearly not enough snowplows, and too many sea-level residents in cars without winter tires having a tough time, as we were also. My car with (old) studs barely topped the Furry Cr. grade- scary. We were happy to be alive and not in the ditch or stuck so we stopped at a Squamish hotel. We got into Whistler Sunday morning, after a BIG dump!<br><br>For those unfamiliar with Whistler and the Flute-<br>The peaks beyond Whistler, which has the highest lift (7160') include the Piccolo and Flute, and also Oboe. The Ski Area Boundary includes the Flute, which is a significant peak with several bowls. There is a backcountry gate that allows access to the terrain of Flute (no lifts there) by walking on foot or skis to the summit and a good 1000' plus vert. of big bowls and some ridges. The terrain is from mellow to steep. The Flute Bowl area is within the ski area boundary and is treated with explosives/ guns for avalanche hazard mitigation. <br><br>Last year I was there skiing the Flute area for a 3 day period of powder and blue skies for 2 of those days. The first 3 bowls were tracked by the 2nd day, but I got untracked deep powder turns every run by walking out further. Those were the best days of weather I have had in many Whistler trips since 1983. This trip was back to the usual gray, wet, windy Whistler.<br><br>In the inbounds skitouring area I used my Dynafit FR 10s, Dynafit Aero boots and skins. One can get in a short run on the Flute shoulder just as fast by skinning up 500 vf instead of doing the hike up, ski down, hike up, ski to lift, ride lift, start again. Using the lift allows one to get the summit with 1/2 or less of the climbing that would be required, depending on where you go on on the ridge/ peak.<br><br>Monday after the ride to Roundhouse (6069' lodge) it was obvious that there was no powder, and it was way too windy. The upper chairs were on standby all day and never opened. After coffee and reading of the Complimentary Globe and Mail, I went back and got my piste skis and Lange boots. Piste skis and big boots are more fun for the big vert. pistes with the wet, choppy snow.<br><br>Whistler weather is, Whistler weather....you have some good days and want to go back, then there are other days.<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Telemon
  • [Telemon]
More
01 Mar 2006 12:29 #212378 by Telemon
Replied by Telemon on topic Re: Feb 26-28. Whistler. Powder.
My son and I are heading up there for some Saturday turns. The forecast is for a bit of snow over the next couple of days and then a mixture of sun and clouds. Hopefully that Whistler weather that you speak of will give us some powder and clear visibilty.I'll send pictures, if it does.And since I have an Edge Card, I will be going back.

• Randonnee
  • [Randonnee]
More
02 Mar 2006 02:18 - 02 Mar 2006 02:20 #212379 by Randonnee
Replied by Randonnee on topic Re: Feb 26-28. Whistler. Powder.
Cool. I hope you get some.<br><br>Last year I camped. The campground is very nice with nice facilities. My big family tent with heater, table, chairs is comfortable. That is a good way to go- $20/ night risked for accomodations compared to powder turn return on investment...<br><br>Yea, the Edge Card is handy. It is well worth avoiding the ticket booth lineup, aside from the discount.

• Telemon
  • [Telemon]
More
02 Mar 2006 14:56 #212380 by Telemon
Replied by Telemon on topic Re: Feb 26-28. Whistler. Powder.
Since I live considerably closer to Whistler than you, I can go up for single day outings.With several friends sharing the fuel costs it is still an environmently sound option. I stay at a very economical place called the Fireside Lodge when I have multiple days to play.<br> The precipation forecasted has not appeared so far this week, but there is still a chance for some sun on Saturday.

• Telemon
  • [Telemon]
More
05 Mar 2006 09:02 #212384 by Telemon
The forecast was right on; we experienced snow flurries, cloud and sun yesterday on Whistler. While the odd low cloud temporarily made snow readability difficult, the weather was not an issue. Even though it had not snowed very much in the previous days, all north-facing slopes were blessed with delightful powder. We tended to stay on the steeps and off-piste but even the groomed runs that were soft and turnable.<br> All and all, it was one of the best days that I have ever had at Whistler.Gabe and I did not stop for lunch, choicing instead to eat while in the Harmony Bowl liftline. The hero snow permitted us to venture into the double-black chutes and to ski hard with less effort.We only left the Harmony Bowl three times. An off-piste drop into the Sun Bowl convinced us that south-facing slopes were not the place to be since that was the only area where the snow appeared to be watersaturated. We were not prepared to travel Flute's bc, but we did check out the entrance and ski the eastlooking drop into the trees.To finish up the day, we ran the 5,000'+ Peak to Creek route to our car with a very rewarding detour into the West Bowl. The photo shows the West Bowl and a portion of that run. <br><br> <br><br>Bob