Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > February 13-17, 2006, Lake Tahoe Resorts

February 13-17, 2006, Lake Tahoe Resorts

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Feb 2006 08:43 #212341 by Zap
The 13,14 and 15th were spring cruising days at the resorts. The snow started on Wednesday afternoon and the "chains required" signs were flipped on. We just traveled south around Emerald Bay when the snows started and ice developed quickly by the time we reached the "Y" at the end of South Lake Tahoe. <br><br>The morning of the 16th was cold, zero in some areas and with chains on we traveled the 38 miles to Kirkwood. There was 6" of dust, sunny and no wind as we arrived. :) Spent an hour skiing the mellow trees so Jill could regain her "powder legs". We then spent the rest of the day skiing the Palisades in untracked powder. It was an incredible day. With the new high speed quad,Timber Express, you can ski to the base of the Palisades at the old Timber lodge then return to the main base and begin the recycle process. The untracked lines were endless and we never made it to the Sunrise Bowl side. We spent the 17th cruising packed powder at Sierra at Tahoe while the next storm cycle was beginning. It was extremely cold and the forecast was for 8 to 20" of new overnight. Unfortunately, we had to head to Redondo Beach to visit Jill's old neighbors on the 18th. It was painful to read the ski reports this morning of all the new powder. The next few weeks will be spent in the RV in Copper Canyon, Mexico. Need to get a new Mexican tooth and hike around the canyon. We'll be back to the Eastern Sierras and Tahoe in 3 weeks.<br><br>Zap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cardog100
  • [cardog100]
More
20 Feb 2006 07:20 #212343 by cardog100
Replied by cardog100 on topic Re: February 13-17, 2006, Lake Tahoe Resorts
A friend and I are going on a powder safari the week of 2/27 - 3/3. Wherever the pow is that's where we're going w/in a long-days-drive. We're thinking of Mammoth if we head Tahoe way. I've never been. Any recomendations, as far as what places to hit are appreciated.

More
20 Feb 2006 12:11 #212345 by ericd
Never been to Mammoth, but I can provide some beta on Tahoe skiing since I grew up skiing there. Mammoth is a few hours drive south of Tahoe by the way. <br><br>My favorite areas in Tahoe are Alpine Meadows (great terrain, cheap lift tickets, great touring opportunities out the boundary and nearby), Sugar Bowl (echo everything for Alpine ), Kirkwood (not as cheap, but still great terrain and touring), Mt Rose (when the freezing level is high), and Northstar (best tree skiing during a storm). <br><br>Have fun. Zap and I had a great powder day at Sugar Bowl last March. <br><br>Zap - good to see you are enjoying the California skiing again!

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Feb 2006 06:15 #212349 by Zap
I'm sitting in the RV in Sierra Crest, AZ getting ready to head into Mexco for a couple weeks and explore the Copper Canyon area and it's all brown around me at 4500'. &gt;:(<br><br>Eric's recommendations are excellent. I would add a couple of comments. On a powder day an alternative ski area with no lift lines, cheap tickets($27 M-TH) and great trees and backcountry is Homewood. Trust me, this is a sleeper area that only the locals use. Another Tahoe area with good trees,backcountry and limited competition is Sierra at Tahoe. <br><br>If you head to Mammoth, I would recommend June Mtn. which is north of Mammoth with cheaper lift tickets. Talk to the Ski Patrol and they'll show you some of the backcountry accessible terrain. If you have a Whistler Edge card, you can get discounted lift tickets at Mammoth and June. If headed for Mammoth, ask about the hot springs. <br><br>Needless to say, I have really enjoyed my downhill and backcountry skiing in the Sierras. Normally, lots of snow, sunshine and a variety of downhill and backcountry skiing options.<br><br>Zap