Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > November 5-6, 2005, Blackcomb

November 5-6, 2005, Blackcomb

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
07 Nov 2005 00:27 - 07 Nov 2005 06:24 #211974 by snoslut
November 5-6, 2005, Blackcomb was created by snoslut
Rob and myself headed to Whistler to check out it's opening.  Actually Blackcomb was only open. Also only 4 lifts were planning on running buts that's okay since the terrain accessable from these would cover more acres than any resort in WA. There shortest run was longer than any run back home. So the village is totally void of snow still.  Due to the sudden opening things were kinda disorganized.  The gondola wasn't running so we had to do some walking to another lift.  While waiting in line we bumped into Lara and Derek.  Lots of time to catch up and go over our whole life stories.  Not really but there were couple thousand people standing around and tons of time.<br><br>Coverage didn't start until high up the gondola.  We spent Saturday doing laps on Cat Skinner.  It was the only chair where the lift lines were moving.  Solar had an hour wait due to numerous people cutting to front of line.  But for our entertainment there was a lone boarder who felt those cutting needed to get beamed with snowballs from close range.  Head shots got the most applause from the crowd.  Eventually a patroller was called in to keep the peace.  Visibility on top was better than below.  The snow was 2ft of killer powder.  Though it did get tracked out quick there were stashes all over to be had.<br><br>Sunday there were barely any lines at all.  Most of the time we could ride right up to the chair.  The clouds also parted a bit so visibility was great.  Rob and I did laps off Jersey.  The upper mountain appeared to have a dusting from wind transport.  Since it was colder today the snow stayed fluffy.  We were still able to find deep pockets of pow to carve.  Did alot more crusiers today.<br><br>The last run on both days were epic.  Easily knee deep.  Had to keep a lazy eye out for obstacles but nothing that couldn't be floated or jumped over.  My board came away with only a few scratches and knicks but nothing that I can't fix.  Good times!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lapaz25
  • [lapaz25]
More
07 Nov 2005 12:16 #211975 by lapaz25
Replied by lapaz25 on topic Re: November 5-6, 2005, Blackcomb
Thanks for the report snoslut-it really was a fantastic weekend and a first for me. I've never skied opening at Blackcomb or Whistler. While I admit my patience was tested on Saturday, the weather and POW certainly made up for it (and the company, too-always entertaining!). <br><br>Like you, Derek and I hit much powder on Sunday, as well, spending most of our time on Jersey and Solar. We only skied 8 runs on Saturday due to the crowds and we think we got about 20 runs on Sunday even when we only skied to 1:30pm (legs were dead).<br><br>No complaints, though..it WAS November 5 & 6. Now I have my hopes up for the remainder of the season and hope that it treats us well.<br><br>~Lara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.