Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA

March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA

• skip
  • [skip]
More
22 Mar 2005 16:32 #211858 by skip
March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA was created by skip
It's been a good few days. After driving through the night after work on Friday, Kam and I met Allyson and the Casshole in Salt Lake City Saturday morning. The truck hadn't been off for 5 minutes before we were off to the Snowbird. The sun was out when we arrived, welcoming us to a day of quality corn on the solar aspects and consolidated, wind-packed powder from the day prior on the shaded aspects. Having not been out to the lifts this year in WA, it was a brilliant day. "What could be better?" thought I.<br><br>2+ feet of Alta fluff for Sunday I learned was the proper answer. Allyson split just in time to miss a January-style dump in upper Little Cottonwood Canyon - cold and deep. It snowed 13" at the base overnight and more up top. Oh, and it continued to snow all day. Drifts on the first run were waist deep. It was most pleasing. Word on the street is that the storm cycle is to continue through the end of the week, so those heading Utah-way this weekend should find some of the same.<br><br>As tempting as extending our stay may have been, we had important business elsewhere - the Bonneville Salt Flats for some backcountry turns. Conditions were spotty, so we moved on down the road after a short tour.<br><br>The plan was to make it to Tahoe by Monday night. It was snowing hard in the Sierra, and we had all intentions of sinking our skis into it Tuesday morning. 40 miles west of Elko, Nevada, however, our plans were unfortunately delayed by the 12 inches of mud Kam buried his truck into. That's a story in itself, but the result was our staying the night at the Motel 6 in lovely East Elko. <br><br>After getting winched out this morning, we regained Interstate 80 and made muddy tracks to Reno. With little chance to make it all the way to Tahoe, and on the sound advice of Kam's cousin Kam, we hit up Mt. Rose, NV. I'd never heard of it, but I'm now a believer (click here for Mt. Rose, the movie) . Feet had fallen since this weekend, and today was no exception.<br><br>Tomorrow we're off to Sugarbowl. The snow's expected to keep falling, so if you've nothing else going on, come on down...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2005 00:58 #211859 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA
Sweet! Nice job uploading the viddy from the road, too.

More
23 Mar 2005 01:29 #211860 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA
Yeah, What Greg said... sweet.<br>You're gonnna be back by Tues nite, right? ;)

More
23 Mar 2005 01:43 #211861 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA
Very nice! ;D

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
23 Mar 2005 08:52 #211864 by cascadesfreak
Replied by cascadesfreak on topic Re: March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA
Looks like the snow just keeps getting worse for you guys ;D It was way tempting to cancel my flight back to track-out the rest of Alta instead on Monday. Bummer I missed the experience of Kam getting his truck stuck in the mud! :)

More
23 Mar 2005 15:23 #211866 by allyson
Replied by allyson on topic Re: March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA
yeah boys, tearin' it up! nice video you got there too. will you be bringing some of that snow back this way when you head home? ;D

More
24 Mar 2005 12:45 #211868 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: March 20-21,22-23: UT, NV, CA
Damn you guys shoulda let me know. I have friends in high places there in Little cottonwood.My friend Emily Kent a tele skier works at Alta (Watsons).