Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2008, NE Couloir Colchuck Pk SONAR

May 4, 2008, NE Couloir Colchuck Pk SONAR

5/4/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by skykilo on 5/6/08 12:36am
With Hedonaut, Monika, and RyanL some major foolishness transpired last Sunday, including a descent with boots clicked into skis the whole way from the top of the climber's left finish to Colchuck Peak's NE Couloir.

The cornice was surmounted at 8:30 am, which involved several stimulating moves on overhanging snow with no pro (didn't take any).  Then I retrieved my 20m by 7mm magic spaghetti to give the others a little security.

We found great powder in the couloir after long-time sustained adrenal dilation.  We used screams of joy off the sides of the uber-aesthetic couloir to pretrigger suspended slides off the climber's-right face in the sun like a bat uses SONAR to find insects.  On that note, we finish with an anagram from Nabokov: Insect incest nicest?

The descent began atop the face in the sun on the left between the false summit and summit of Colchuck.
Way to blast that shit into another Universe!  You 4 are over the top. 

I can't believe you put this up!  Now hordes of Starbucks-swillers will be up there laying waste to this prime powder.  You should take this down STAT!

Right on Mountain Peakcock and your bat brethern! Sonar is a good name. 

And way to improve our line. Best snow year I've seen up there.
http://cascadeclassics.org/CentralCascades/ColchuckPeak/NortheastCouloir/Spring03/NortheastCouloir_Spring03.htm

That's crazy on a great many levels. Good job :).

On a pedantic note, it was so crazy, you managed to do it in the future!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first photo is amazing, what a sweet and steep line!

Some friends and I made the 1st winter ascent of that route over 30 yrs ago, with a considerably less fat snow pack.  What a run!  Way to stick it when the snow's good.

Reply to this TR

may-4-2008-ne-couloir-colchuck-pk-sonar
skykilo
2008-05-06 07:36:21