Home > Trip Reports > October 24, 2003, Muir Snowfield

October 24, 2003, Muir Snowfield

10/24/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jimmyclimbs on 10/25/03 7:16am
It wasn't Oct 13 or anything like that, but suprisingly one inch of coverage over the blue bullets is enough to get buy on a sunny October day.

What little snow that fell on the 22nd and 23rd came down with out wind, or little wind. From Camp Muir to 7,300 feet the patched were linked on snoboarders right. Good carving snow. Coverage was from minimal 1/2-inch to four-inch "drifts." If there is anything left anfter the warming trend on the 25 and 26 be sure to take your crampons for the walk up. Though, I'm sure that the warm temps, sun and clear nights gassed it all into crap. The snow on the last 800 feet before Muir had already gone thru the melt freeze cycle and we were lucky enough to have gotten a late start and the icy-crust up the had softened out.

Is there any action elsewhere?

Well, Jimmyclimb, your luck in finding some length of carvable snow was reasonable, given our current weather conditions. A group of friends and I celebrated my 72d month (and Lara Pazemenas' 27th) by attempting the Pinnacle "Glacier", and then making 3 turns numerous times at the summit of Plummer Peak. We traded a long slog for a short turn fest. I'll tell more later, when the photographic evidence shows up!

Great job, doing it on Friday. It must have been some kind of solitude!...Greg Lange

You're getting pretty close to the bottom of the barrel, Jimmy.
Greg, I'm looking forward to seeing what you gound in those two locations.

Reply to this TR

october-24-2003-muir-snowfield
jimmyclimbs
2003-10-25 14:16:35