Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2008, Granite Mountain

May 4, 2008, Granite Mountain

5/4/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by danengel on 5/4/08 7:38am
We started out at the trailhead at 4:15am with the idea that we could summit and ski down to the car by 10am, getting better snow than later in the day.

It all started out well in the dark, until we began to realize we had missed the usual route to the top and had actually veered towards Talapus Lake. So we backtracked a little and decided to try going up from where we were at then. We booted until we got out of the trees, around 4000', skinned for the next 1000' and then booted with crampons and ice axes to the summit. Eventually we got to the summit, 6 hours after we left the car. And headed back down the northwest ridge, into the basin below and then into the trees.

The snow was firm on the top ~500', smooth for the next ~750', gooey until we got into the trees and then total crap from there. But the top 1250' was all worth the long hike. We set off a few very slow wet slides near the treeline, but otherwise stability seemed to be pretty good. 

Overall, it was a bit of a sadistic day, but in a good way.

See map below for our "unusual route".

More pics here.
Nice call on going early - we left the parking lot around 9:30 so by the time we ski down the sw facing broad slope it had just softening a little too much. Meet up with your tracks down in the valley and basically followed them out just for something different. Plenty of snow up there, but start early to get it in it's best condition. 

That turn's easy to miss in the dark, especially if your head's down and you're just tooling along. I count the small creek crossings after the last big switchback in order to know when to expect it. Granite's a fun mountain.

The routefinding  was a little tough in the dark. There is some great terrain up at the top. I wonder how safe it is in the winter months.

Good to see you out and about Dan.  It is raining here in Amsterdam, but until today we really have only had 2 days of rain on our entire trip, so suppose were lucky for that.  looks to be too damn hot back home.

P.S.  I will need to get my May ski day in on Saturday the 31st!  You game?

Be well

Reply to this TR

may-4-2008-granite-mountain
danengel
2008-05-04 14:38:05