Home > Trip Reports > October 19, 2003, Pan Point+, MRNP

October 19, 2003, Pan Point+, MRNP

10/19/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 10/21/03 9:41am
With a forecast of continued high snow levels and few free days before the end of October, Sir Charles (Eldridge, our esteemed webmaster) and I chose the best of our bad alternatives.   Given the forecast of afternoon clearing, we made our start from Seattle for MRNP at the leisurely hour of 8AM.  As we headed up the well traveled Muir route from Paradise in slushy shallow snow, the breeze and showers gave no indication of relenting, so we stopped for lunch just above Pan Point ~ 7100' on the ridge toward McClure Rock.  

With the wind speed increasing and a lack of continuous snow above us, we decided to head down.   After 4-500' of corn meal mush in improving weather, we picked our way through the Edith Creek basin to the trail to Paradise.  We were able to ski most of the way back in snow alongside the bare asphalt trail.  In the parking lot we were greeted by Ron J, Mad Dog, jw, and sag who unfortunately did not have the usual BBQ fired up.

After a few glimpses of the mountain under a big lenticular cloud, we left at 3PM with more weather coming in from the southwest.  October is in the bag, hope the Pineapple Express heads south soon.
Silas, now that all of the new snow is gone (according to Andy's report), we don't have to be worried about it getting skied out before we return and we can tell the whole truth: the snow was so good on Sunday that we did two runs!

There will be a few photos from this trip on TAY home page beginning Monday, 11/27.

Greetings from Sunny Portland!  (Today anyway)  This is my first post, but have been a fan of this page for quite some time.  
Isn't that a picture from this trip on the front page of Telemarktips.com?

TW, welcome!. You are right about the photo - I sent it to telemarktips last week in case they might deem it coverphoto-worthy, and I guess they did.

Portland, eh? Maybe we can start getting some good TR info from your area now (assuming that you are a bc skier)? It would be great to know how the snow is doing on Hood, 3 Sisters, etc, especially in the spring.

Reply to this TR

october-19-2003-pan-point-mrnp
silaswild
2003-10-21 16:41:36