Home > Forum > ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###

### MISSING SKIER!!! ###

• Plinko
  • [Plinko]
More
29 Apr 2008 19:44 #181701 by Plinko
### MISSING SKIER!!! ### was created by Plinko
Lost skier in the Mt. Baker area, missing since Sunday. Trying to get as much coverage here as we can. See here for more details:

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...dex.php?topic=9920.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Apr 2008 08:06 #181704 by hyak.net

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
02 May 2008 11:31 #181713 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###
Saw a clip on king5.com appealing for help searching. Must admit, that was a first, usually it is just the opposite, asking people to stay away.
Sounds like all are hoping for a broken binding or a lightly sprained ankle.
Still hoping for a happy ending.
Anyone have any updates.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 May 2008 18:03 #181716 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###

from the Bellingham Herald
www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/396846.html

May, 1, 2008
PUBLIC SAFETY
Search for Mount Baker climber stalls
Rescuers hope to resume efforts today
KIE RELYEA

If the weather cooperates, rescuers might resume their search today for a Lynden climber missing since Saturday in the Mount Baker area, the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office said.

Authorities stopped looking for 31-year-old Kevin LaFleur on Wednesday because the weather was bad and mountain conditions hazardous.

Forecasts call for partly sunny skies in the Mount Baker area today, according to the National Weather Service.

That may give rescuers a window to head back to the mountain for a new search, one that could include flyovers.

“It just depends on what the weather is going to allow us to do,” Jeff Parks, chief deputy with the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office, said Wednesday.

Snow is likely Friday. There’s a 30 percent chance of snow showers Saturday.

LaFleur had told friends that he planned to summit Mount Baker alone or climb high enough to ski down. He failed to show up for work Monday.

Friends and co-workers — past and present — described LaFleur as an avid hiker and climber who knew what he was doing when he ventured out.

“He’s very experienced. He’s climbed Mount Baker many times. He’s climbed Mount Rainier. He’s climbed a huge number of the peaks in the area,” said Harlan Kredit, a Lynden Christian High School science teacher and friend.

“He’s extremely knowledgeable about outdoor activities and the outdoors — period,” Kredit said. “He is not a novice in any way, shape or form and is physically very fit.”

LaFleur had taught science at Lynden Christian High School for four to five years before leaving to earn a master’s degree, according to Don Kok, superintendent of Lynden Christian Schools.

“We’re very concerned for his well-being. Kevin is a wonderful young man,” Kok said. “If anybody could survive in those conditions, Kevin could. He is extremely well-trained, but that’s a big mountain.”

LaFleur works at REI in Bellingham. Ray Elliott, store manager, confirmed that LaFleur is an experienced mountaineer.

“We’ll just have to wait, along with everyone else, to see how the search efforts continue,” Elliott said. “We’re concerned about his safety and welfare.”

Kok said LaFleur’s older brother came to Whatcom County to help with rescue efforts.

“We’ve been praying for him (LaFleur) continually — not only for him and his welfare but for his family as well, who are out in Massachusetts,” Kok said.

Crews encountered dangerous mountain conditions while searching Tuesday, according to an account from Deputy Mark Jilk, who coordinated the search and rescue effort.

About 25 volunteers from Skagit and Whatcom counties searched the lower parts of Heliotrope Ridge on the west side of Mount Baker as well as lower Easton Glacier on the south side.

They reported a foot of fresh snow at the end of Glacier Creek Road, which would have covered any ski tracks LaFleur may have made.

Some of his friends spent Monday night about 5,200 feet up the Grouse Creek Drainage, which Jilk said would have been LaFleur’s likely route.

They reported 50 mph winds and heavy snow throughout the night, Jilk said.

Those who know LaFleur continue to hope.

“We’re just praying that he’s hunkered down some place, weathering out the conditions,” Kok said. “But who knows?”

Reach Kie Relyea at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 715-2234.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 May 2008 18:16 #181717 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###
I'm still hoping too. If they're still in need of volunteers, I suspect that TAY reaches a bunch of them. I know I've got nothing that's more worthwhile to do tomorrow than help with a search. Is the search still going? Contact info for the search coordinators?

KOMO 1000 news broadcast at ~3:40am Thursday that the search was suspended Wednesday night. I really hope they got some flying time in yesterday/today.

• SkagitQueen
  • [SkagitQueen]
More
02 May 2008 20:30 #181719 by SkagitQueen
Replied by SkagitQueen on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###
I am posting this message for Amy Brown, a friend of Kevin's:

Hello all,

I just got off the phone with Kevin's brother, Ryan, and he is seeking to mobilize any volunteers to help search on Sunday. The forecast for Sunday is mostly sunny, our first longer break in several days.

I also spoke with Deputy Mark Jilk (Whatcom Sheriff); SAR operations have officially been suspended and will probably remain suspended unless any signs are seen via helicopter. However, multiple helicopter agencies/companies have offered to conduct routine flights everyday as weather permits.

First and foremost we don't want anyone else getting hurt or into trouble. Experienced snowmobilers and mountaineers only are sought. Again, you must have appropriate mountaineering skills, knowledge, experience and gear- beacon, shovel, and probe are mandatory.

Tim Terpstra, is planning to establish a base camp up high and stay up there as long as the weather window holds (2-3 days?). He is seeking volunteers who could just help ferry extra supplies (food, fuel, etc.) up to the base camp. So bring extra supplies, as well, regardless of if you're planning to stay the night.

I believe that snowmobilers in particular, would be extremely helpful in helping to ferry people up to higher areas. Depending on the number of snowmobile volunteers, there is an excellent chance that you will have to hike all the way in along the Glacier Creek road- anticipate and prepare accordingly.

We also want to be extremely cautious regarding snow conditions and numbers of people heading up to higher areas. Jilk said a major avalanche was reported off the Coleman headwall that probably slid in the last day or so. Again, we don't want anyone else getting hurt or into trouble. Avalanche danger may be high on Sunday.

If you are interested in volunteering and have the skills, knowledge, experience and gear, please email me. It is preferred that you not just head up there on your own, but that you meet at the predetermined meeting place and time on Sunday morning. We want to avoid having this turn into mass chaos and someone else getting hurt.

Ryan will get in touch with me Saturday afternoon with a time and meeting place – anticipate 6am in Glacier. I will then forward this information to anyone I've heard back from. As email is more efficient, I prefer that, but I will not be able to check email until after 3pm or so Saturday afternoon.

This is not an officially coordinated SAR operation, so we're trying to do the best we can (though I did talk to the Sheriff about this). If you have radios to contribute that would be excellent. Cell phones should work up high as well.

Thanks very much. We appreciate any and all efforts and interest to help out.
Be safe and in hope,

Amy
<amyb35@gmail.com>

More
02 May 2008 23:13 #181720 by korup
Replied by korup on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###
Plans to carpool from Seattle? PM me.

• climbinghighest
  • [climbinghighest]
More
03 May 2008 07:58 #181721 by climbinghighest
Replied by climbinghighest on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###
Have you found any snowmobilers to help out?

If not, let me know asap and I can change some plans, pull my sled out of storage, and help out on sunday. send me a pm or email.

• SkagitQueen
  • [SkagitQueen]
More
06 May 2008 15:37 #181731 by SkagitQueen
This is a post from Amy Brown, a friend of Kevin's who has been coordinating search efforts:

This is the latest update I have on the search for Kevin LaFleur.

Early Sunday morning, approximately 30 volunteers and 8 snowmobiles gathered up the Glacier Creek Road. There were several groups searching down low, a group that formed a base camp at about 7,000 feet, and many volunteers who helped ferry equipment and supplies up to the base camp.

A group led by Timothy Terpstra attempted to summit Mount Baker yesterday (Monday) morning but were forced to turn around due to whiteout conditions. However, two groups – a group of 10 and a group of 2, both unconnected from the search effort, did manage to summit successfully on Sunday. They reported nothing unusual at the top. It was found that any avalanches seen (near Colfax Peak and the Coleman Headwall) have since consolidated and are covered with a hard glaze and are thus nearly impossible to search.

The base camp group decided to come out yesterday. Everyone made it home safely.

At this point, there are no additional coordinated search efforts planned. If anyone goes up and has any news, please post updates here.

In honor of Kevin’s love of the wilderness, we ask anyone planning to operate a snowmobile in the wilderness area for further search efforts to please consult with the Mt Baker Snoqualmie National Forest for clearance. Many, many thanks to the snow machine drivers who contributed their time, skill, gas and machines to the search effort. Your help was invaluable and greatly appreciated. May the snowshoers, boarders and skiers never have to return the favor, but if you call, we will come.

We’d like to extend our deepest gratitude to everyone who contributed to the search or offered assistance. This has been an incredibly difficult process and we want Kevin’ s family and friends know that we think of them now and will continue to remember them, and Kevin, each and every time we go into the mountains.

• SkagitQueen
  • [SkagitQueen]
More
09 May 2008 16:18 #181751 by SkagitQueen
A thread has been created for Kevin at:
cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php...n/796814/#Post796814
The above thread is for those that have been following Kevin's story and want to share their stories, pay him tribute or support his family.

If you want discuss the incident, the following search effort, SAR practices, etc. please continue on this thread here:
cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php...er=796823#Post796823

I have created a flyer listing his gear and description for posting at trailheads, bulletin boards, stores etc. It is in .pdf form- when I figure out how to convert it to .jpg or .gif, I will post it here. Until then, PM me with your e-mail & I'll send it to you.

Thanks.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
10 May 2008 13:22 - 12 May 2008 01:48 #181755 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: ### MISSING SKIER!!! ###
You can download the PDF flyer SkagitQueen created here:
etculli.com/kevin-lafleur-missing-skier-description/

Attached is a JPEG version of the same document.
For best results use the PDF file if you want to print the information.