Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2008, Mt. Shuksan West Face

April 27, 2008, Mt. Shuksan West Face

4/27/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by powdherb on 4/28/08 6:13am
Jason Hummel, Ryan Carter, Paul Kimbrough and I skied the West face of Shuksan yesterday. It was great up high with some pow-like wind affected snow. The line then funnels into a steep section of couloirs for the bottom 1200 feet or so. The line in total is smidgeon over 4k. Jason was stoked to have skied this line that he last attempted back in 1999 but had to bail. We camped at lake anne and left camp at 330 am and skied from the bottom of the summit pyramid. We were back at the car at 330.

NICE HIT!!  Those pics are awesome!  I've only been able to drool at your line...nice work guys.  Way to nail it!

Thanks for the pics dave. I'll get another story and more pics up soon (a few days). I'm so happy you invited me! We got away with a lucky snatch here on a great route. So much fun. I am feeling so good to finally have busted over the top of that route and to ski down it this time (only waited 9 years).

If anyone has ever been up this side of the mountain, I'd love to hear more about it! I think it gets overlooked, but one can't be blamed with all the radness shuksan has to offer. I can't think of a mountain besides a volcano that has such a diversity of routes.

Great trip guys- looks like a lot of fun. I see you're getting into those alpine starts Dave- addicting aren't they?

Reply to this TR

april-27-2008-mt-shuksan-west-face
powdherb
2008-04-28 13:13:40