Home > Trip Reports > April 25, 2008, Kendall Peak 5784' North Slope

April 25, 2008, Kendall Peak 5784' North Slope

4/25/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 4/25/08 11:58am
TJ B. came down from L-worth for another Snoq Pass tour and we were faced with the ever present question: how to find north facing stuff out of Snoqualmie Pass without having to climb back out at the end of the north facing run???   Today we discovered one answer: the north slope of Kendall Peak with a quick traverse to the true summit.  North Slope of Kendall Peak you ask?  There is one, albeit not a remarkable long open line.
Our approach was the usual Commonwealth start heading in the direction of the base of the southwest ridge of Red Mountain.  This ridge essentially splits Commonwealth Creek into a N and NE branch.  Here we followed the NE branch below Red Mtn. in a very pretty basin toward the Kendall catwalk.   And when convenient we turned right and switchbacked the open tree gladed north slope of Kendall Peak to the Silver Creek divide (due SW of the Katwalk) above a little pond.  There began the steeper exposed traverse on the west side and near the crest of the north ridge of the Kendall Peak summit.  This series of slopes is subject to a lot of cross loading so we proceeded with care separating at times at safe locations (picture 1).  I probably would just avoid this route in the depth of winter.  Then it was a short rising traverse to the summit.  The west aspects were already heavy and we thought a direct descent (Volken Guidebook) seemed less than ideal turns on this day as a result.  We thought though that the diurnal warming/cooling actually was helping stabilize the slope for the traverse.  It never did turn to wet loose slide prone mush at this altitude. 
After awesome views up Gold Creek, the Red Mtn. and Lundin Pk. cirque at an awesome angle, and across to the Snow Lake peaks from the summit (picture 2), we stripped the skins and traversed back to the North Slope.  It was straightforward and easy holding our altitude against the North Ridge rock pinnacles and cornices without having to climb or side step to avoid losing altitude.   TJ did kick a cross-wind formed cornice off and get it to send a 18" deep by 75 feet across slab to run down a NW aspect for 150 feet or so until the slope lessened.  But ski cutting our traverses couldn't get anything to move.  Must have been the extra weight of the cornice falling on the snow.  Then it was back to the Silver Creek divide for the fall line descent down the gladed north aspect (Picture 3).  Where the sun didn't reach, it was yet one more late April day of powder!  Add to that the fun tour, great views, and beautiful day, and we felt blessed to be alive.
This one may never be a popular one for the lateral traversing and low angle skiing in Commonwealth's basin bottom, but it was a great way to eek out one last day of powder and visit a summit I have been meaning to get to for a long time.  I still would go back to the west slope run off the top some day maybe next winter (hint: Swooz). 
I am sorry to see TJ leave Leavenworth for a new life in Oregon.  But it was great to get out a couple of times before he goes.  Thanks TJ, John.
Thanks for an enjoyable TR .

So John, does that put you over 14,000 vertical for the last 7 days....again? You know what the doc said about that.  :D

Great pics, I wish I had the strength to have been there.

Larry

author=Larry_R link=topic=9890.msg39845#msg39845 date=1209217668]
So John, does that put you over 14,000 vertical for the last 7 days....again? You know what the doc said about that.  :D

Great pics, I wish I had the strength to have been there.

Larry

Hi Lar,

Well, I think I hit a personal best this week with 17,000 vertical in the past 7 days.  Of course my tele turns were pretty out of balance on tired legs and I took a few ridiculous falls!  Watching TJ ski with such amazing grace over any terrain, either dropping the knee or not, makes me see how I could use some (ski) area time.
But then I get out into a quiet place in the beauty of wildness and earn a view like we did yesterday (even if just 3 miles from an interstate!) and I just know I am not going to buy a lift ticket.  And in my own heart I just feel more and more incredibly thankful to simply have the strength I have and be able to do what I, myself, am capable of.  There is always someone stronger and more graceful, many I envy on this site.  There is also always someone less fortunate and unable to do any of it.  But there is no point in comparing with anyone except one's own self in a drive to be better, get a bit stronger perhaps, and touch some terrain from time to time that has had little evidence of having been impaired by careless human hands, tools, or machines.  When I am in a place like that I finally feel fully alive and get a sense of belonging.  That is something you have shared with me many a time, and getting back there to share it with someone who gets the same sense of wonder, awe, and belonging is even more special.  I am always glad to share those moments like we were able to do this week in the Teanaway.  Sip some tea at dusk in a snow squall while clouds spiral around a few adjacent peaks and pour up a valley toward us.  Many here on TAY know this, too. 
Is this getting too sappy for a public post??  I am getting the sense that even my boss thinks that words like this are too subjective and emotional.   Ahh, who gives a...
John

author=John_Morrow link=topic=9890.msg39846#msg39846 date=1209220830]
Hi Lar,

Well, I think I hit a personal best this week with 17,000 vertical in the past 7 days.  Of course my tele turns were pretty out of balance on tired legs and I took a few ridiculous falls!  Watching TJ ski with such amazing grace over any terrain, either dropping the knee or not, makes me see how I could use some (ski) area time.
But then I get out into a quiet place in the beauty of wildness and earn a view like we did yesterday (even if just 3 miles from an interstate!) and I just know I am not going to buy a lift ticket.  And in my own heart I just feel more and more incredibly thankful to simply have the strength I have and be able to do what I, myself, am capable of.  There is always someone stronger and more graceful, many I envy on this site.  There is also always someone less fortunate and unable to do any of it.  But there is no point in comparing with anyone except one's own self in a drive to be better, get a bit stronger perhaps, and touch some terrain from time to time that has had little evidence of having been impaired by careless human hands, tools, or machines.  When I am in a place like that I finally feel fully alive and get a sense of belonging.  That is something you have shared with me many a time, and getting back there to share it with someone who gets the same sense of wonder, awe, and belonging is an even more special.  I am always glad to share those moments like we were able to do this week in the Teanaway.  Sip some tea at dusk in a snow squall while clouds spiral around a few adjacent peaks and pour up a valley toward us.  Many here on TAY know this, too. 
Is this getting too sappy for a public post??  I am getting the sense that even my boss thinks that words like this are too subjective and emotional.   Ahh, who gives a...
John

Great post John...  I'll drink to that.

Reply to this TR

april-25-2008-kendall-peak-5784-north-slope
John Morrow
2008-04-25 18:58:56