Home > Trip Reports > April 7-9, 2008, Scatter Creek ranger patrol video

April 7-9, 2008, Scatter Creek ranger patrol video

4/7/08
Posted by Larry_R on 4/24/08 12:26am
I thought that some of you might be interested in a web version of a video I made for the Cle Elum Ranger District as part of the volunteer work I do. It covers a recent 3 day, 2 night wilderness patrol up the Scatter Creek drainage, also covering selected portions of the Solomon Creek, North Fork - Fortune Creek, and Silver Creek drainages.

Thanks to Todd Styles, Winter Rec Coordinator for the district for giving me permission to post this. The purpose is just to illustrate the logistics that go into an overnight wilderness patrol in winter; to show the process. The video is not the product.  As usual, all errors are mine.  :)

Here's the link: 65 mb, windows media format (.wmv), high speed internet connection recommended. Mac users can download a plug-in for QuickTime to play .wmv files from the Microsoft website.

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/FS/ScatterPatrol08.wmv

As per a previous post, here is a link to a virtual reality file giving an overlook of Scatter Creek:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=9750.0

I hope to be able to post a video of a subsequent patrol soon.

Larry
Nice video Larry -- gives a good look at that area.  That was a great angle you had on John's line down from the Silver Creek overlook. 

How far back in is that snomo ride?  Is the USFS going to use your video for training purposes?

author=Marcus link=topic=9876.msg39796#msg39796 date=1209067868]

How far back in is that snomo ride?  Is the USFS going to use your video for training purposes?

Marcus, the trip from Salmon La Sac to the drop-off point was almost 10 miles. Definitely tiring either on the machine going 8 mph max, up and down over the ruts, or behind riding the jerking and lurching sled. Grooming had stopped April 1. so the ruts were quite bad.  The tracked utility vehicle was so much nicer, although it definitely has it's limitations. Serious ones at that.

A training video? No. That I'm sure.   :) I started making these just for the office staff, and then to play as a continuous loop on the DVD player behind the help desk, for visitors to watch if they wished. Nancy has a number of videos  made by various staff to show what the personnel do at different times of the year.

More recently Todd has found the web videos helpful in responding to questions about enforcement of wilderness regulations in winter. (Consider some of the questions that have been asked in the past on this forum.)  For me this has been a most rewarding use.

Larry

Reply to this TR

april-7-9-2008-scatter-creek-ranger-patrol-video
Larry_R
2008-04-24 07:26:32