Home > Trip Reports > April 20, 2008, Near Lava Lake 60km N of Terrace

April 20, 2008, Near Lava Lake 60km N of Terrace

4/20/08
Posted by NWBCer on 4/23/08 1:35pm
Had a great little spring trip with my pals Guido and Phillipe. Headed up the Poupard logging road (about 60km N of Terrace, B.C.) on a glorious sunny day. Temps here still going below freezing every night but heating up to 10 C during the day at valley bottom. Previous day skiing near the same area on a SE aspect yielded mostly firm snow turns on descent, only a couple hundred vert of corn was had.  The peak (unnamed) we skied today was more of a true S face and temps were a little higher. The climb up was very enjoyable, the first 4 or 5 km were up a snow covered logging road, easy peasy. The climb up the peak was in very friendly grippy snow, steep climbing angles were do-able due to snow condition. Guido and Phillipe got to within striking distance of the summit, I was about 300' below their high point (blaming knee and previous evening's festivities). Due to lateness of day and rapidly cooling temps we headed down. Timing was pretty decent, as descent was generally in hero corn (although top 300' was variable with every turn a seemingly different condition - boiler plate/breakable crust/wind pressed/carveable hardpack. An approximate 2500' descent without factoring in the logging road. Not bad for leaving town at noon:)
More of the goodness.
PS Scotsman: ran into Dave at a meeting last week, Bruce at the bikeshop today, and some guy I don't even know a few days ago - they all say hi and are eager for your return!

God bless logging roads - am in awe of your access from town

Yeah, not too crazy bout logging, but one has to admit that it does open up some hard to access terrain for skiing and some other worthy recreational pursuits. I just wish so many raw logs weren't leaving the province, be nice to cut em up into nice lamps and tables first (and marking them up the appropriate percent).

Reply to this TR

april-20-2008-near-lava-lake-60km-n-of-terrace
NWBCer
2008-04-23 20:35:58