Home > Trip Reports > April 19, 2008, Kootenay Pass

April 19, 2008, Kootenay Pass

4/19/08
Posted by BrianLee on 4/20/08 2:56pm
Drove up to Kootenay Pass on Friday night after work. We got there after 11 pm and decided to crash in the shelter at the pass. We slept well and woke up to at least 6 inches of fluffy pow and it was dumping hard and it was cold. We skinned up the south side of the highway and up towards Baldy rocks.

We dropped some steep lines just before the summit down towards highway. The steep sections slufffed easily and picked up a lot of snow with them, but it was so light and fluffy that after the sluff it was still deep and was quite enjoyable.

The lower trees out to the trail were super fun as there was 6-8 inches of dry on top a hard base so even the mellowest of slopes were fun and we raced down through the trees going really fast. We stopped or a lunch break at the hut. Then we headed out the north side up to Cornice Ridge. We got up to where the giant cornice starts and decided that we did need to go any farther. We dropped an east facing chute and rode deep blower down to the tree line.

We then had to boot a little ways and then took advantage of the great flat pow riding and dropped down to the highway.

This would suck if there was deep snow but the fast base it totally possible and fun. After walking back to the pass on the highway we decided to head back down to the states and cold beer and Mexican Food.
Stag Leap never fails. Ever.

Did you ride on the north or south side of the road?

yeah I cleaned my glasses and see... South side.

Jimmy, you funny. I sucks getting old doesn't it?

We rode south side in the morning and north side in the afternoon. I think that this could be my new favorite place. If it were only closer. At least it is close to my family's cabin!

Reply to this TR

april-19-2008-kootenay-pass
BrianLee
2008-04-20 21:56:11