Home > Trip Reports > April 19-20, 2008, Paradise

April 19-20, 2008, Paradise

4/19/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 4/20/08 2:17pm
Spent an enjoyable weekend preemptively rescuing people from future crevasses with the Foothills Mountaineers  at Paradise this weekend. Thanks again guys and gals!

Snow:
Saturday - fabulous. Cold, ~calf+ deep, and light. Sluffs ran relatively easily to varying degrees on a fairly solid crust. Universal agreement that conditions were excellent and exceptional for late April.

Sunday - Consolidating, continued sun breaks, and limited warming began to do their work with intermittent snow/graupel interludes- heavier and wetter, with some soft crust formation starting. We watched a not-small ski-triggered sluff widen and run the height of Mazama Ridge on a W facing slope. Shaded trees still had fluffy powder in Edith Creek basin at 6pm. Unless something evil happens weatherwise, nirvana may still inhabit the Tatoosh.
I had fun slowshoeing in the Tatoosh Sat/Sun.  Still recovering from shoulder surgery, so no skiing (falling) for me. 

Saw a small ski-cut-triggered slab on a north aspect east of The Castle Saturday.  Photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennyt/2429407249/.  Sunday morning heading up the same gully we strayed into some steeper territory until we heard one good WHOOMP.  Enough of that, turned around, and went up a different way, only to see a natural slab ~10" deep and 20' across on a north aspect.  It ran out ~300', and I'm guessing it was a 50 degree slope.

Thanks to all the instructors for giving up their precious powder time to teach us young bucks how to travel safely on glaciers. A great time was had, much was learned, and now I have a greater appreciation for those amazing ascents some of you all make. Hopefully I will have some epic tr's to come thanks to the invaluable lessons I learned this weekend.

Thanks again Foothills/ Seattle Mountaineers volunteers!

Chris

Reply to this TR

april-19-20-2008-paradise
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-04-20 21:17:09