Home > Trip Reports > April 20, 2008, - Chair Peak circumnavigation

April 20, 2008, - Chair Peak circumnavigation

4/20/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by BeckyB on 4/20/08 9:04am
At long last, after being shut down by avy conditions and/or weather on previous attempts, I finally got to ski the Chair Peak Circumnav.  Pete, Ross and I left the Alpy upper lot around 8:00 and skinned up through light and fluffy new snow to Pineapple Basin with no one else in sight.  So imagine our surprise when we stumbled across a freshly tamped down skin track heading up towards Bryant Col out of Pineapple Basin!  There was a group of five ahead of us and I'm still not entirely sure from whence they came (since we were alone on the skin up the valley), but they stayed ahead of us and broke trail all day, so Group of Five, we thank you. :)

The ski down to Melakwa Lake was ridiculous.  My mouth kept getting filled with snow because I couldn't stop smiling (or hooting) and the face shots just kept coming! 

Skinned up to Melakwa Pass where we toyed with the idea of doing a yo on the upper slopes between the pass and the lake, but instead opted for forward progress.  Skied down in more delightful powder and started the skin up to the knoll on the left that marks the traditional leftside exit down to Snow Lake.  Pete mentioned that when he'd done the tour a few weeks back he noticed the couloir to the right of the knoll looked filled in.  After some hemming and hawing we decided to drop in figuring the worst that would happen would be a climb back out of it.  It paid off in spades with a fun, soft, pleasantly steep descent down to the lake. 

The snow was pretty heavy by the time we reached the lake and we thought the ski down from Snow Lake Divide to the out track might suck a little, but in fact it did not suck at all.  Back to the car by 2:30 where we ran into lots of familiar faces, all smiling at the unbelievable quality and quantity of snow to be found this late April.

Sadly no really good pics were taken by Pete or myself so nothing to show here.
Nice work guys!  Becky, I'm glad you finally got to ski the circum -- it's a good one -- and with powder in April, who would have thought!?  Even better!  :)  It would have been fun to join you guys but gotta buckle down or I'll never graduate.  ;)

Nice!  I was afraid it might have shmooed up after yesterday -- glad you guys got the goods.

Thanks for the skin tracks (from you and the group of 5 in front)! 

Lee A, Doug D, and Kristin K  followed your nice tracks and completed the circumnavigation today as well--- we are sorry we were too lazy this morning and missed skiing with you!

I couldn't believe the snow on the ski to Melakwa lakes either, I hadn't zipped my jacket up fully and carried an extra few pounds of snow down with me.  Small price to pay for the nice deep powder.  We kept expecting the snow to deteriorate through the day, and although it was slightly heavier on the ski down to Snow Lake, the turns came easily.

We met Jeremy and John just before the skin back up to Snow Lake Divide who had skied down from the NE buttress of Chair Peak after an attempted ice climb.  Nice to meet you both!  Not too many disappointed skiers out today...

Nice job guys!  Sounds like your patience was rewarded handsomely, Becky. 

Nice running into you and Pete up there on Saturday :) And then we chased you all day on Sunday. Amazing tour! That run down to Melakwa was pure bonus... we couldn't believe how nice it was. Some of the lightest snow of the year. I think, with some intensive corn-therapy to ease the withdrawal, I can probably take a few months without powder now...

-Doug

a shot of one of "the five" on the way down to Malakwa lake.

Beauty!!  That pic perfectly illustrates the goodness of that run.  Thanks for posting it!  Man, I wish we'd gotten some photos like that!! :)

Reply to this TR

april-20-2008-chair-peak-circumnavigation
BeckyB
2008-04-20 16:04:24