Home > Trip Reports > April 19, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass, Kendall where?

April 19, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass, Kendall where?

4/19/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 4/19/08 9:38am
Have to call this a confession of a TAY post addict, gentlemen, but I hope I haven't stepped over any body's ski tips in being the first to post this.  I shall limit myself to one photo in case anyone has some good ones to share (not easy choice).
What a day!   Pico and I left Roslyn at 7:00 AM and met up with Swooz, Clem, Silas, and Bill S. at the Summit West parking lot.  Folks will probably guess where we skied today but this has the appropriate vagueness of having skied with Silas!
Did two runs on North exposures from 5600 feet down to 4000 feet.  Incredibly deep fairly light powder for late April!  Stable snow on the north sides with any crust being well buried and bonded.  Huge difference from yesterday.  First run was incredible!  Last weeks debris did clog up our second run a bit, and with flat light made choosing a line a bit challenging.  But even down to 4000 feet, though it was getting bit heavy, it was good skiing and should not crust tonight on north aspects.  It was mostly cloudy all day.  Then we climbed back out of the northern facing basin and finished the day on a west aspect from 5600 ft. down to 4200 ft.  The snow here was about 8" to 10" new (I think, it went by pretty quick!) on the crust we found yesterday.  It was rapidly warming and getting heavy.  This slope may crust tonight.  Then one last  bit of more lighter snow in the shade of the tree skiing.  By near 4000 feet the crust was less firm and the snow pretty heavy.  Then we traversed and skied back to the Pass.
Thanks gents for such a wonderful day and exploration.  Winter just keeps going and going!  We also met Marcus, Anastasia, Nate (evil fungus), Kirsten, Andy, and I apologize for not getting the last person's name.  We skinned out together and then finished the day on the west facing run.  Great to meet you all.
Now which photo.....I'll go with the one of the cadre'.
Oh wow, it is snowing out my window here in Roslyn as I write this.  Stay around for just one more week!
Great to finally meet so many regulars and thanks again for the beta on return routes and the lift back to the car.  Unbelievable snow.

A great day indeed. Who would have believed this snow on April 19?  Snow had blown in on the north facing slopes we skied, at times seemed about 18" deep. The only instabilities we saw were on southwest facing slopes. There was an underlying firm suncrust and the new 8" had bonded porly. In places every turn set off a sluff but not a slab and no propagation. One of our skiers was swept off his feet however.

author=Clem link=topic=9821.msg39588#msg39588 date=1208660296]
One of our skiers was swept off his feet however.

Yeah, and upon skidding on the rough crust that the sluff exposed, another in our group went head over skis, slid, flipped once more, and looked generally silly in front of all those folks!
Clem, had to get this one of you in action since you got ones of Swooz and I!

Gotta love the Twins.  Appears that they have treated you well.

author=snoslut link=topic=9821.msg39592#msg39592 date=1208665481]
Gotta love the Twins.  Appears that they have treated you well.

I absolutely Agree, snoslut!  That skiers left Twin is in the top five lines of my winter!  After that we skinned up to about 100 vert. of the top of Camel Toes.  Another nice long sustained slope.  Do you know if it is accessible from the south?  That side looks a bit forbidding from below.  FYI, there is alot of partially buried debris and chunks across it now from last weekend's warmup.
Thanks,
John
Here's a pic dropping in to the Twin:
Charles, delete at will. I apologize.  Just a bit excited about the day yesterday.  Promise to stop putting you on the spot!

It was great meeting you guys after reading all your posts over the years!  I know Marcus already said this but thanks again for the beta on the return route and the ride back to our car -- what a nice tour. 

I still can't believe all the powder and face shots!!!  Yesterday was such a great day.

--Kirsten  :)

It was nice to meet you all, and thanks again for letting us tag along on the way out.  Here are a couple pics, and more here.

Marcus powdering his face

Nice tracks in the Twins!

Allied forces unite for the descent

Looks like you got it good. Good job! :).

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=9821.msg39644#msg39644 date=1208754253]
Looks like you got it good. Good job! :).

Hi Trumpetsailor,
From where we met up there last month, go right around a litle knowl to reach the entrance of the Twins.  I found it to be the most moderate entrance.  And the "hidden exit" I talked about across the way is really moderate as well, and easily visible from the bottom.  One can not really see it from where we looked across.  Happy exploring.
John

Reply to this TR

april-19-2008-snoqualmie-pass-kendall-where
John Morrow
2008-04-19 16:38:05