Home > Forum > Gore-tex vs. Schoeller

Gore-tex vs. Schoeller

• juan
  • [jon_ambrose]
More
13 Oct 2003 06:25 #168536 by juan
Gore-tex vs. Schoeller was created by juan
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice from all you PNW veterans. I'm in need of a new jacket for the moister conditions out here. I'm wondering if schoeller or other soft shell materials can cut it out here when the snow turns really moist, or (shudder the thought) into rain.<br><br>My old gore-tex coat, even after nikwax treatment, gets me fairly wet.<br><br>Pants too I guess.<br><br>Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2003 07:35 #168538 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
From my experience, I wouldn't travel into the backcountry without a hardshell (ie-Gore) jacket. I like using schoeller pants for spring tours, but my shoulders and back get way too wet on stormy days to go with only a soft shell jacket. <br>Curious about your current goretex jacket...when you hold it up to a bright light does the material look like there are patches (particularly around shoulders and hood) that appear to be more translucent than others...the goretex in your jacket could be delaminating and you may be able to get a warranty replacement from gore or the jacket manufacturer. I bought a marmot alpinist jacket eight years ago and currently am using the third warranty replacement marmot has sent me, every three years the goretex delams and the jacket leaks, I send it in and they mail me a new one. Might wanna try that before tossing out your old jacket.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
13 Oct 2003 08:33 #168540 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
NOTHING will keep you dry in the rain. This was firmly established yesterday on Baker.

More
13 Oct 2003 08:44 #168541 by Pete A
sounds like you guys shoulda been wearing polyurethane rubber ducky jackets...or perhaps a scuba drysuit...?

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
13 Oct 2003 14:14 #168543 by Paul Belitz
A rubber jacket would have left us just as wet. A drysuit...I'll try one next time..just what the doctor ordered.

More
13 Oct 2003 16:27 #168545 by BrentH
Replied by BrentH on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
I used an umbrella on the first 4 miles which were on trail. Umbrellas work on trails, allowing you to keep your head uncovered and vent your torso. I was relatively dry until I stowed it when we broke out of the trees and into the wind. No rainwear fabric will keep you dry in serious rain and exertion. The only was to deal is to carry and use extra layers. Yesterday demonstrated again that you can be sporting numb extremities when the ambient temperature is 32-50 degrees F.

More
13 Oct 2003 16:49 - 13 Oct 2003 16:49 #168547 by Pete A
ya know you guys really shouldn't complain about getting soaked to the bone ;) ...you got freshiez and some of us (me) were stuck in town studying and working...ack!<br>

More
14 Nov 2003 03:15 #168605 by Lucky
Replied by Lucky on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
Gore Revivex works pretty well on older parkas for restoring the "beading" quality the coat had when it was new.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
29 Nov 2003 11:54 #168668 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
I stopped carrying my shell when I got my schoeller top last year. I skied in all conditions below 32 degrees and the schoeller was far superior. I stayed drier, lost less fluid and was not as trashed at the end of the day. The stuff kicks a** as far as I am concerned. In 91 I scored a pair of 1960 era ski pants that I used exclusively for skiing for ten years. They were great. Then I went to the schoeller pants a few years ago. <br>When you are skinning up you are working like a cross country skier. I don't see too many of them wearing hard shells.<br>Last year I skied at Roger's Pass during a big dump just below freezing. The melted snow would either drip off of the coat or my body heat would dry it out. I had a full goretex suit along on the trip that I wore the day before in the same conditions. I was wet and clammy and had to change my top during the day. I am also not a person that sweats very much. Hands down, go for the schoeller for skiing. If you like to ski in the rain carry a shell. There is a reason it is so popular--it works.<br><br>Gregg

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
30 Nov 2003 16:33 #168671 by Paul Belitz
I strongly disagree. IMHO, scholler is a scam. Go with nylon windshells and a light goretex. In high wind or real cold nothing beats goretex. Scholler isn't warm, windproof, light, or water resistant, with the possible exception of WB400, which isn't versatile enough. I've tried scholler pants and they sucked even in the summer. I brought them back to patagonia and bought a new hardshell. YMMV.

• Richard_Korry
  • [Richard_Korry]
More
01 Dec 2003 07:47 #168672 by Richard_Korry
Replied by Richard_Korry on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
I guess my mileage has varied. I love my Scholler MEC Ferrata tights. I wear them skate skiing, BC skiing, lift skiing, climbing, hiking. They shed snow, dry quickly, are very wind resistant, keep me cool in the heat and warm in the cold. Best of all they were inexpensive: about $120CA.<br><br>I haven't bought an equivalent top yet as I've not found a top with the right combo of fit/features/price that I've liked.

More
07 Dec 2003 02:33 #168682 by ajtabet
Replied by ajtabet on topic Re: Gore-tex vs. Schoeller
i know this thread is slightly stale, but i can't resist a comment. i have some marmot atv pants (some kind of schoeller formulation) and love them. they're comfy on the drive in the a.m. and home, even if a wet day they're usually dry pretty quick. they don't look too techy so if you stop for a bite/brew can stylishly hang out. 8) try that with tights on! (although certain bars tights would prove popular). ;) outdoors, temperature range is fantastic, only too hot if sunny, above 70. only get soaked if raining all day. abrasion resistent, too.<br><br>worth the bread, dudes.<br><br>adam t.<br>(in no way affiliated with any corporation whatsoever) &gt;:(