Home > Trip Reports > Silver Star, 4-16

Silver Star, 4-16

4/15/08
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by rootsman on 4/18/08 11:53am
There seems to be some interest in this mini-massif outside of Yacolt, so I thought that I'd post a quick note about my trip on Wednesday.

I came in from the north, through the USFS Sunset Campground, and took the 41 to the 4109. I was able to drive this to just past the junction with the L1100 spur, where I hit solid snow at approximately 1800 feet. An hour of breaking trail brought me to the summer trailhead, about 3000'.

From here I headed up to the ridge and skinned along in progressively worsening weather. I continued on for about an hour, and stopped for lunch. The clouds closed in and visibility dropped to about 50 yards. I found a clump of nobles and waited about an hour to give the weather a chance to blow through as had been predicted, which it never did. I eventually packed it in and had a quick ski back to the car.

I know, not a very exciting day, but it told me what I needed to know. First, I think that the best access is from the north, off the 4109. It took me about an hour and a half from Portland, but that was more a result of lousy forest roads than distance. Second, there is more than enough snow up there right now, and more expected over the weekend. Third, there is as much faux-alpine terrain as you've got the legs to ski; lots of steep, open hillsides and glades. You'll think you've died and gone to 8,000'. This pocket range is definitely worth checking out, for the novelty if nothing else.

Sorry no photos, from the point where I left the trees, it was white out conditions with only brief clearings.
You're describing the mountains visible above the gorge on the Washington side from Portland?  Very cool - I always wanted to ski those when I'd look at them while waiting for Tri Met during high school.

Stoked! Thanks for the scouting report. Hope to get another chance at that area this spring?!

We skied Silver Star several years ago and approached from the SE. We took the Washougal River Road, left onto NE Hughes Rd, right onto NE Miller Rd, right onto NE 39th, left onto NE 412th, right onto Skamania Mines Rd. The roads are plowed by the 2 or 3 families that live up there. We parked at the intersection of Skamania Mines Rd and W1200. We followed the W1200 rd on skis to around, trail 180 to Silver Star.

The terrain between Silver Star and Chimney Rocks looks really good and could be easily accessed from where the plowing stops. You may want to talk to the land owners first though, we saw several no tresspassing signs and signs saying the area was monitored by cameras. Also the family  at the end of the road have to of the biggest dogs I have ever seen, and they were very aggressive.

Reply to this TR

silver-star-4-16
rootsman
2008-04-18 18:53:56