Home > Trip Reports > Mill Valley wrong turn

Mill Valley wrong turn

4/15/08
Posted by telemack on 4/17/08 2:17pm
    ATGrant and I went to do Jim Hill and could not find good parking or a logical start E of the Stevens Nordis Center.  Some skater at the Center parking said the Lanham Lake trail was "obvious and by the power lines", so we headed off.  Before we knew it we were a ways up Mill Valley, so we just kept climbing and ended up riding lifts gratis in plenty of soft butter.  ::)
    My question is, can anyone give me more detailed info on how to find the 2 approaches?
I've read a lot of TRs on Jim Hill and couln't find a clear starting point; there was no sign for Lanham Lake trail from the groomed tracks, and Burgdorfer's directions didn't help much.
Thanks.
I have hiked the summer trail up there. At the parking lot, to your left as you start up the road to Mill Valley, a drainage climbs up into the Lanham Lake basin. You cross under the power lines and keep following the drainage. 

So when you start up from the nordic center and you see the open clearcut  on your uphill left (at least it looked like one 15 years ago) go back left (S.E.) along an old road bed. start rounding the hill sitting to your right and head into the forest through the fairly flat valley floor. Lanham lake is maybe a mile, mile & a half. Before the lake  (but not by much), start switchbacking up steep forest heading pretty much easterly. It's a grind but you'll top out on a ridge & can see Jim Hill & the large open bowl just left of the ridge. Pretty obvious if the weather is clear, visibility good but basically follow the ridge up to the summit block. You can ski very close to the top & maybe drop the ski's for the final little scramble. Be aware that the bowl under unstable conditions can be a bad place to be but other than that, a bit strenuous for a day but very doable. From the summit, check out that backside chute. It will make you lick your chops for sure.

Reply to this TR

mill-valley-wrong-turn
telemack
2008-04-17 21:17:03