Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2008; Snoqualmie Pass (Dawn Patrol)

April 15, 2008; Snoqualmie Pass (Dawn Patrol)

4/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cascadesfreak on 4/15/08 4:26am
Fresh snowfall overnight almost down to North Bend! and still snowing throughout our morning tour.  About 6" of fresh April fluff overlying a re-freeze crust made for excellent morning turns before turning in to the office.  Carter and I were stoked to test out our new homemade skis constructed over the weekend with much appreciated help from Kelvin at the Skibuilder€™s Ballard factory (a.k.a Kelvin€™s garage).  The snow did not suck, and the homemade skis performed well in the ~2,000 vertical foot test run in the pow!

nice you guys!  couldn't ask for better conditions to try out the new sticks.  high five!  ;)

congrats Cass & Carter.  so wipe, what did you name your skis?????

Chris, where'd you guys ski? I did some laps at Alpental then moved over to Hyak for more laps.  The hard stuff underneath was much more uneven and difficult to ski at Alpental, with lots of underlying moguls.  I had the fatty powder boards and stayed on top of it for the most part, but for subsequent laps, I switched to more traditional/narrower skis and was getting tossed around a bit.  Because Hyak has been closed for a while now, the base was much more even and consistent and made for much better, (albeit shorter) laps.  Forecast calls for 1-3" more tonight, so tomorrow should be great as well.

author=Plinko link=topic=9793.msg39435#msg39435 date=1208302811]
Chris, where'd you guys ski?
We were at the Alp; didn't notice the underlying bumps much except for a couple short sections...Deb's Gold seemed fairly smooth, but might not have noticed the bumps so much with the fat, floaty boards.  Good to hear the runs were smoother over at Hyak...almost went there, but decided on the Alp for a still quick ascent and a longer single run down.  What a difference in contrast to lift skiing in the warm sun and spring snow at the Alp last Sunday!

Having fun in POWDER you lucky dogs!!!!!!!!!

Tell us more about your skis...I would never get around to doing that myself but I love the idea.

Here is another photo from the tour.   Cass ripping it on the "Kick-Ass Blasters", aka "Vente Cocoas". 

Telemack, definitely check out skibuilders.com for the run down on building your own ski's.   Kelvin and Kam have done an amazing job with the shop and the website.   I was on a pair modeled on the "Little Wings", and Cass' on "Space Pants". 
http://skibuilders.com/gallery/

Reply to this TR

april-15-2008-snoqualmie-pass-dawn-patrol
cascadesfreak
2008-04-15 11:26:56