Home > Trip Reports > April 11, 2008, Basin Mt.

April 11, 2008, Basin Mt.

4/11/08
Posted by Zap on 4/14/08 9:30am
Camping in Buttermilk Country is a special experience.  The campsites are among some of the best bouldering terrain in the country with 13,000' peaks protecting and nurturing the Sierra snowpack until it becomes ripe corn.  Again, we leave the campervan at our campsite and gladly join Bryan and Carol in their Subaru.  We bounce along the Buttermilk road towards Basin Mt.  The road is rather unique - hardpan dirt, boulders, ruts, snowmelt puddles with partially submerged boulders, oilpan penetrating rocks and sagebrush.  But the views are priceless.  At a couple of locations, we all pile out of the car to lessen the burden as Bryan eases it around obstacles.  Most folks that tour with me know that I have terrible feet and believe that touring boots are "ski boots" not "HIKING BOOTS".  I was convinced today that it was a short walk through sagebrush to the snowline, and it only took about 20 minutes of cow dung dodging (not really) to reach the snow.  It wasn't as bad as it appeared because a recent burn had removed a lot of the brush, but it's not a skill I want to enhance.  We toured up a SE gulley of Basin Mt. on another brilliant, sunny day with a slight breeze.  The younger group climbed to 11,000' and had a pleasant descent.  Jill and I stayed a bit lower and body baked on a wonderful flat granite rock.  Once the temperature reached simmer, we began skimming the corn.  It seemed too good to leave too soon, so we all dropped our packs and cycled another run.  The photos can't capture the raw beauty of our surroundings, but they sure bring back memories of a wonderful day with good friends.

Reply to this TR

april-11-2008-basin-mt
Zap
2008-04-14 16:30:26