Home > Trip Reports > Sun. April 13, 2008, Pan Point Fried Goo !

Sun. April 13, 2008, Pan Point Fried Goo !

4/15/08
Posted by Robie on 4/13/08 10:50am
Went up with Ron J ,Mad Dog ,Jen, JW,Darryl and Chuck to scout out some possible crevasses or other haning spots to practice Crevasse Rescue. We thought we might drop into  the Nisqually  and had even spotted a car down at the bridge with some extra dummy seatbelts.  Skinned up to pan point top and poked around a bit. Some real gooey stuff on all aspects and only a fresh breeze kept the snow from sliding. We did set off a few doughnuts and i was hearing some whommping breaking trail up through Edith basin. We gave up on skiing down to the bridge as there was a mud slide on the west exit and the snow was so gooey. It was still a nice day with friends improving our goo technique . 
Robie, Ron J ,Mad Dog ,Jen, JW,Darryl and Chuck it was good to see you all in the parking lot. Hopefully you found some good cornices, I mean crevasses, to lower us into.

That snow was very weird. Sticky and gooey indeed. We made it to pan point, was almost blown off the mountain and decided to stick to the goo below (no pun intended).

Beautiful day otherwise.

Dave K. and I scurried up to Muir today. We forewent the corn cycle on the upper part of the snowfield for his first trip all the way up. Winds were reasonably friendly - gusts to no more than 35-45, methinks. NWAC telemetry says ~mid fifties average while we were up there. Maybe I need to spend more time driving with my head out the window. The refrozen breakable crust was trixy above ~7.5k. The cooled-off but somewhat gooey pan point descent was fun (seriously cool pinwheels from earlier in the day!). Clouds were moving down from up and up from down as we left.

Nary a whumpf to be had on the Dead Horse side of Pan Point on the way up in the morning.

The Nisqually proper looked pretty filled in - here's hoping you've found something fun (and actually  crevasselike!) for us!

I was wondering what the Paradise Posse would be up to given the conditions today.  I reasoned that if there was good snow to be found, that you guys would find it.  I figured you for The Refrigerator.  Perhaps there was no good snow to find.  I'm sorry to have missed it. (sarcastic emoticon)

There is something funny about a bunch of guys and girl(s) (depending on which Mad Dog you brought with you) wearing helmets, toting safety gear, ropes and crevasse rescue equipment wearing dummy seatbelts.

I love it. ;D

There is something funny about a bunch of guys and girl(s) -----wearing helmets, toting safety gear, ropes and crevasse rescue equipment wearing dummy seatbelts.

G Vogt calls it the "whole catastrophe"
good luck next week

Reply to this TR

sun-april-13-2008-pan-point-fried-goo
Robie
2008-04-13 17:50:08