Home > Trip Reports > April 12, 08, Mt Townsend Do-Over

April 12, 08, Mt Townsend Do-Over

4/12/08
Posted by Boot on 4/13/08 8:56am
Disclaimer: Turn away if you are a snowmo-hater.  Feel free to lurk at the pics though ;).

Two weeks ago we headed for Townsend and its 2400' NEerly bowl off the North summit.  Telemetry showed a little less new snow there, so we thought we would be wallowing less, but instead of 10" new over the previous few days, there was clearly more like 2-3' new, and so much so, that our machines couldn't make it up to the 4000' pass on FR 2820.  We turned back to the FR 28/27 junction and followed  27 to the crossing of The Little Quilcene River at 3000' and headed up along the north side of the river up to the end of FR 2820, our original intended starting point.  This extra mile of hiking and 900' of gain gobbled up a huge amount of our day which started with clearing blue skies and ended with fog and snow.  Instead of a direct line up the bowl we followed the trees up to the north-eastern ridge where we stopped at about 5800' due to poor vis.  Avy risk seemd a little unsettling, so we took a gladed run down the north side of the ridge, through the forest across the road and back down through the clear-cuts for about 2800' of turns.  Fun day, but a little disappointing after seeing a clear summit in the morning.
.....so Sat, we hoped the road snow had settled enough to make it this time to the end of FR 2820, and indeed it had.  With a much earlier start and a bluebird day, we headed right up the bowl.  The snow was deep and wet, but pretty fast for travel.  Some rollers had come down the main chute and we saw some slides, mainly off the cliffs.  We took one run down the bowl and hurried back up for a second run down the north ridge, then dropped back into the lower bowl and rode right back to our machines by noon, where we lounged  in the sun for a nice lunch before heading back.  Snow was a little sticky, but not bad and a great "summer" day in the Olympic Mountains 8).

Sounds like you guys had a good day out!  Thanks for sharing the pics too!

The main north bowl chute is long and has a very good consistent slope, however, definately not a place to be in bad avy conditions.  The northeast ridge offers a safe rout from bottom to top.

I'm glad to see some goods getting gotten in the Olympics. 
Access seems to be the problem in the winter but the time is near.  I am curious how high you were able to drive.  It would seem that the roads would be holding snow relatively low for this time of year but I am ready to begin recon none the less. 

Maybe I need a sled. 

Or a tow in. ;)

We parked on dirt at the 27/28 junction just below 2400', but it required 4WD/high clearance and a push from Schu the last 1/4 mile to get past some icy tire ruts and runner board deep snow.  From the junction there was only one short dirt spot and by 2900', at Bon Jon Pass, and up, it was quite deep.  Tow-in might of been ok, but tow out would have been more like water skiing.  I felt like I was on a Jet ski 8).

Thanks Boot.

The reports of the stranded motorist who died along the road up to Ellinor last week was a bit disconcerting but your beta is encouraging.  I think that I'll give it a try tomorrow.  I have the high clearance 4wd but no Shu to push.  Maybe I can come up with a substitute.

BTW-  I've been waterskiing for 25 years.  If I hear you coming up the road, I'll be the guy with my thumb out. ;)

Anyone got recent conditions up to Ellinor?  I'll check Road conditions too.

There's a report on NWHikers from 4/13.  They were stopped at 1800' and had 2.3 mi extra hike to the lower TH.

Reply to this TR

april-12-08-mt-townsend-do-over
Boot
2008-04-13 15:56:24