Home > Trip Reports > April 6-7, Gran Paradiso, Italy

April 6-7, Gran Paradiso, Italy

4/15/08
Europe
Posted by gregL on 4/11/08 11:42pm
We abandoned plans to ski the middle section of the Haute Route due to forecasted bad weather, and instead drove an hour or so south into Italy to a popular climbing destination called Gran Paradiso. We showed up at a trailhead with about 40 other people, hiked for an hour or so in ski boots up snow level, then skinned up to the Rifugio Chabad at 2,750 meters. Stayed overnight in a very convivial atmosphere and had a great dinner of pasta and pork with mashed potatoes, slept in triple-level bunks and headed out next morning with clear skies and wind.

We took a slightly protected route up the lower mountain to stay out of the wind, then joined the rest of the skiers on the main route through the heavily glaciated upper portion. Topped out at the col @ 3,600 meters, then made an aborted attempt at the 4,000 meter summit but turned back in 60-70 mph winds and sub-zero temperatures, and due to the fact that we didn't have sufficient ice protection with us. Pretty much everyone in our party suffered frostbite on some part of their faces - so much for spring ski touring in Italy!

Skied down a different route and had lunch at the Rifugio Emanuele, then to the bottom for the traditional panache before catching a ride back to the cars.

We found out that they are having a randonnee race over the same course, with a mandatory summit, this week!

The Italian trails put our Forest Service counterparts to shame - all reinforcement on this one is done with slices of shale; it gives great grip in the wet, too!

The four-armed monster, Paul and Lowell about to crest the col on Gran Paradiso @ 3,300 meters

Lowell on belay over a slightly tricky spot - you could have skied this directly under the camera position a few weeks earlier

Added some pictures . . .

Cool photos...I like the stonework on those trails

I wanted to ski that one.  Next time.  Good call ditching the Haute Route.  ;)

Looks like a blast no matter what over there!

Better late than never - here are some of the pictures I took. I hope I will remember the lessons learned here and avoid the frostbite next time :-)

Reply to this TR

april-6-7-gran-paradiso-italy
gregL
2008-04-12 06:42:10