Home > Forum > Google Map of Washington Ski Tours

Google Map of Washington Ski Tours

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
11 Apr 2008 14:29 #181512 by Erik Henne
Google Map of Washington Ski Tours was created by Erik Henne
Going through my back country ski books, I always wished there was a better way to visualize where each tour was located in relation to one another. So I began marking tours in a Google map with the line feature.

I had so much fun I plotted all the tours from the books by Burgdorfer, Volken and Blair (are there any other books that I don't know about)?

The map can be found at: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...0044a0d630607854b54a

I hope you enjoy the map as much as I did making it and please share it with your friends.

Erik Henne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Robert Connor
  • [robert]
More
11 Apr 2008 14:51 #181513 by Robert Connor
Replied by Robert Connor on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Very cool Erik. I have been using google maps and live maps to check out trips and now having the route overlay is very helpful. I would love to see people take this and drop their photos on the routes. I don't know if there is a way to get through all the photo clutter in google earth, but it would be very cool. There is so much opportunity in the technology.

More
11 Apr 2008 16:17 #181514 by cjm720
Replied by cjm720 on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Nice work and thanks for the link. This is really cool.

More
11 Apr 2008 23:59 #181522 by Plinko
Replied by Plinko on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
This is FANTASTIC!! Thanks Erik!

More
13 Apr 2008 09:45 #181528 by Rainer
Erikhenne,

Nice work! Your project makes me wonder about the future of guidebook publishing, and conventional paper publishing in general.

An editor at Mountaineer Books told me that their policy for low-volume specialty books was to run an edition, sell it out, and wait for demand to rise again before printing another run. Consequently, my last book is now officially out of print. With your excellent website, Charles' CD, and the TAY community, there may not even be a need for guidebooks. Personally, I think the only guidebook any alpine traveler (snow rider) needs is Fred Beckey's ALPINE GUIDE TO THE CASCADES.

Finally, Mike Gauthier has written a great guide to climbing (I'm sure you can figure out the descents) Mt. Rainier.

Best Regards, Rainer Burgdorfer

More
13 Apr 2008 11:10 #181529 by BigRed
Replied by BigRed on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
That's a great map! Does anyone know if it is possible to take that info from Google maps (browser based) to Google Earth?

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
13 Apr 2008 21:22 #181534 by Erik Henne
Replied by Erik Henne on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
If you look in the top right corner of the map, there is a "view in google earth" button next to the "print" link.

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
13 Apr 2008 21:34 #181535 by Erik Henne
Rainier:

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the map and thank you for the tips on the other books, I will certainly pick them up.

Happy skiing!

Erik

More
14 Apr 2008 11:23 #181540 by jd
Thanks Eric, very cool. Great example of web 2.0 (user generated info freely shared). This is what the web was made for.

• skibootup
  • [skibootup]
More
14 Apr 2008 18:16 #181546 by skibootup
Replied by skibootup on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
WOW!

Thanks for plotting all of those. What a great way to look at the big picture when looking for a fun ski tour.

Cheers Erik

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
14 May 2008 17:38 #181791 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Fantastic companion to all those guidebooks! Thank you so much!

• mtneer ordinaire
  • [green achers]
More
11 Feb 2010 08:12 #190362 by mtneer ordinaire
Replied by mtneer ordinaire on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
While the majority of these routes are beyond my current abilities, this is an outstanding tool! Thank you for your efforts!

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
11 Feb 2010 08:40 #190363 by Erik Henne
Thanks.

Since my original post, I have mapped out a few more ski guide books and a number of hiking books. A list of them are here:  www.erikhenne.com/L_maps.htm    

If you notice on the Washington Ski Tour map, Google changed the way they display it. Now the routes are separated onto two pages, so not all of the routes are displayed at once. Does anyone have any ideas how to change it so all of the routes can be displayed at once?

• climberdave
  • [climberdave]
More
11 Feb 2010 16:31 #190371 by climberdave
Replied by climberdave on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Just wondering, but what is the copyright status on those books that you posted on your site?  Does crediting the books author (as you did at the beginning of each map set) release you from any cp violations or did you change the work enough to make it your own?

Good job BTW and something like this is needed (as Rainer pointed out)

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
11 Feb 2010 16:52 #190372 by Erik Henne
I'm no legal expert on the matter, but to me what I did is similar to writing an article and quoting a book, which is totally legal.

There is a substantial amount of information in the books that is not on my Google Map. What I tried to make was a sort of interactive index for the books. This would seem to be a legal derivative work under fair use.

More
11 Feb 2010 17:45 #190373 by ~Link~
Replied by ~Link~ on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Very, very cool! Nice work, Erik! :D

More
11 Nov 2013 20:11 #210825 by RossB
Replied by RossB on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Cool stuff. This is what it looks like on GMap4: www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mym...0044a0d630607854b54a

For those who don't know, GMap4 is a map website created by a local guy using topographic data from various websites (gathered from USGS or similar data) displayed using the Google API. There are several similar websites out there (e. g. ACME) but I think it is the best one. My favorite layer is "t4 Topo High", with a hill shading value of zero. This is what that looks like for these routes close to Paradise:

www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mym...=15&t=t4&hillshade=0

More
27 Nov 2013 12:14 #211086 by powski3
Replied by powski3 on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
This is really cool. Thanks for the work. Now if only Google Satellite/ Earth had a winter mode to make it easier to get a feel for tree thickness. It seems like most of their imagery is from late summer making it often difficult to distinguish between open and treed areas.

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
19 Mar 2014 10:44 #221412 by Erik Henne
With the recent publication of the excellent and comprehensive Washington Backcountry book by Martin Volken, I have gone and updated my Google "Index Map." I have also re-sorted the tours to be approximately North to South so there isn't a need any more to flip between pages to make sure you are seeing all the tours in a certain region. (Olympics are at the very end of the list).

I've found this tool very useful when trying to find a new place to go. It gives a quick sense of where a tour is located, what the access difficulties may be, elevation range, and aspect without having to dig through all of your books. Of course, especially in the new Volken book, there is much more information located in the book itself, especially when it comes to tour variations and other nearby slopes. This map is intended to only be a visual index.

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know and I will take care of it.

For reference, the map can be found here: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ms...432,5.586548&t=p&z=8

• Jeff_Ward
  • [Jeff_Ward]
More
19 Mar 2014 18:48 #221417 by Jeff_Ward
Replied by Jeff_Ward on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Nice work. It looks like Arrowhead needs to be moved one peak to the NE.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
19 Mar 2014 21:25 #221421 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Thanks Erik! Fantastic index to all three books. Happy exploring

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
17 Apr 2014 10:14 #221881 by danpeck
Replied by danpeck on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Yea… Awsome! You did what I have been slowly doing over the past 3 years… Now it's all done for me. Thanks

Dan

More
17 Apr 2014 22:36 #221891 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
Nice! I am so thankful for the people like Amar and Erik who are smarter than me ;D

More
18 Apr 2014 09:49 #221894 by JoshK
Replied by JoshK on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours

Just wondering, but what is the copyright status on those books that you posted on your site?  Does crediting the books author (as you did at the beginning of each map set) release you from any cp violations or did you change the work enough to make it your own?

Good job BTW and something like this is needed (as Rainer pointed out)

I can't imagine there would be any legal issue here. Everything covered in those guidebooks is composed of information in the public domain. It's organized in a very nice way, but there isn't anything that you couldn't figure out with some internet searches and research of your own. Even the route lines included are overlayed on publicly available maps.

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
18 Apr 2014 10:31 #221897 by danpeck
Replied by danpeck on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours

I can't imagine there would be any legal issue here. Everything covered in those guidebooks is composed of information in the public domain. It's organized in a very nice way, but there isn't anything that you couldn't figure out with some internet searches and research of your own. Even the route lines included are overlayed on publicly available maps.

And the way I see it… you are only making it more likely that more people will buy those books. Especially Martin Volken et. al. The route descriptions are what are most helpful.

Your map is an awesome way to see it all at once and to think about possible trips in a flash. Super awesome tools.

Also, the authors of those books only want to share the goods of skiing anyway… 8)

• Bobby Marko
  • [bobbymarko]
More
01 Dec 2014 21:17 #223050 by Bobby Marko
Replied by Bobby Marko on topic Re: Google Map of Washington Ski Tours
While I dreamed of snow this fall I worked on incorporating Eric's Google Map into a 3D mapping tool that works in your browser without any plugins like Google Earth.

You need a modern browser like Chrome to use it. Firefox works but is kind of slow and for some reason Safari is giving me troubles.

It's a little slow to load at first, but once you get in you can use the control key on your keyboard and click to rotate the map in 3D. Be sure to wait until you see the yellow lines for the tours to load before doing anything (I'll improve on it once I'm done skiing ;) ). Your scroll wheel or right-click and drag allows you to zoom in/out. You can also filter tours by name or distance. In the future I want to add filtering for difficulty/elevation gain/guidebook/etc...

Also remember the tour lines are really rough guides and you need the guidebooks in order to get enough information. This just helps you get a feel for the general topography.

Enough with the disclaimers! Here's the link: powderlin.es/map.html

Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Attachments: